Dedicate A Release In Memory of HUSSE

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Dedicate A Release In Memory of HUSSE

Post by Zwopper »

I second the idea to honor Husse as well.
He was our teacher, friend and mentor, and it's very fitting that the word 'Husse' means 'Master' in Swedish.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

That's really cool Zwopper, I did not know that, thanks for the Info. I would really like to know what Clem & the Team think on this Issue...Maybe he will post soon,
Like I said before, changing the release name is not the only option, their are many different ways to honour Husse, & The Community has posted A lot of good Ideas here, I'm sure that there are a lot more Ideas out there also, So post them,
Jay514 :roll:
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

+1 to the idea of honoring our good friend Husse in a very special way. He is worthy of this!

Finding the best way to accomplish this should be our goal.

Some great ideas have been posted here.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I was also hoping that Clem could keep Husse Logged in as a red admin below the forum list as members who are online forever as a tribute to Husse! I believe that would be a nice gesture!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

viking777 wrote:...but I can also understand that Clem might not want to break the alphabetic progression that both Mint and Ubuntu like to follow...
Good point there viking777, but perhaps due to a very special circumstance such as this, maybe Clem and the team might treat this as an exception rather than a rule. Of course, it is still their decision and the community respects that.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

How about a "Husse" them pack for Helena, could consist of wallpapers of his famous quotes and forum shots, and im sure there are a few pics kicking around somewhere that could be integrated as well, maybe his avatar for the menu icon? im sure a few other Husse implementations could be thot up as well that way, as another poster suggested it would survive the release cycle
tower

Post by tower »

Also we could have Husse quotes in the terminal instead of the fortune ones?
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

tower wrote:Also we could have Husse quotes in the terminal instead of the fortune ones?
What to say to that?

WOW

+1

Nice

terminal proper
David Hunter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by David Hunter »

beefstu wrote:Maybe something in the slideshow thing which scrolls by whilst Mint is installing? (cant think how to describe it)

Could be one of the slides about who he was and why its dedicated to him. I don't think the next release could go by without some sort of proper acknowledgement.
+1. At the very least.
tower wrote:Also we could have Husse quotes in the terminal instead of the fortune ones?
+1, although I think that this idea needs to be continued for all future releases, not just the next one. That way, even new users can benefit from husse's tips, without even needing to go to the forum! Add him in as an off-line helper!
rhodry wrote:Perhaps also an archive could be created here in the forums with his contributions collected together in some way.
You can see all of Husse's posts at http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php? ... 6&sr=posts.
Thanks beyecixramd!
Husse wrote:Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

+1 for "HusseSay"!
I think he would like the idea as well.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

viking777 wrote:I can also understand that Clem might not want to break the alphabetic progression that both Mint and Ubuntu like to follow...
Actually, Husse fits perfectly after Helena, Just like we had Barbara, Bea and Bianca with the same letter. I know those were for v2.0, v2.1 and v2.2, but versioning could suffer an exception here, unless we will have v8.5 "Husse" as a major update of Helena and everything will be perfect version-wise.

I like the idea of adding terminal quotes from Mats' posts. That would be very nice. Also if the Dev Team has knowledge about Mats' preferred Mint theme, wallpaper etc, all those could be wrapped up in one theme and name it "Husse", so we can choose it to see Mint just like he did.

In the meantime, we can also add a few words in our forum signature. That's something all of us can do.
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

WOW 31 reply & 480 view's, come on people, & I am really surprised that Admin's Or Team members have not posted (With the Exception Of Exploder ), Thank you.
Even though we have some excellent Ideas on this thread, it may take more than 32 post to get these things approved .So keep on posting, there has to be more Ideas Out there. :roll:
Thanks to all in the community whom have shown their support here in the forums for our past moderator Husse.
Jay514
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Personally - not dwelling on Husse - BUT he was the Main person here on the forums. For no response I feel reveals an apathetic attitude by the main people behind Mint. I realize they may be in a not so good place - and they have their lives and work; but Husse was Mint and Mint Forums in particular. I have a not so good felling here. Starting to almost feel like with this lack of caring i never should have given $ to Mint on a number of occasions. I know that is harsh - but Husse wasn't me or you - He was the workhorse around here. the Hole is now a big HOLE with his passing.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

Well to be honest with you I was not directing the previous post towards anyone or any group in a BAD way. I am not posting here to bash anyone, It just seems that we could get some of these things done to honor Husse , thats the least the community could do & I was just hoping for some kind of recognition for the Ideas that have been posted here.
I do agree with you that he was The great force behind the forums, among many other things.
I also believe that some people have been affected more than others & being quite about Husse's passing is their way of dealing with it.
I can't say that I regret any of the things that I or we do as a community, because everyone has a different point of view on the same subject. Not everyone agrees on everything.
Although I do believe Mint has suffered a great loss, & this may be hard to overcome. I also personally believe that we have a Great Leader, A really good Team, & the best Community in the Linux World , & if we stick together we shall overcome the worst. Hopefully there are others that agree with me on that point.
Jay514 :roll:
mick55

Post by mick55 »

@GrayWizardLinux

Don't give up hope old buddy.

Perhaps there are things going on behind the scenes we are unaware of.

Everyone expresses their grief differently.

That being said, it would be nice to see a fitting memorial to Husse.

Peace
mick
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi there,

I understand the rationale behind this and there's nothing more honourable than to pay a tribute to Husse.

Using his name for the next release isn't in my opinion the most elegant way to do this though. It's immediately been considered as you can imagine and it would cause a series of problems. It could be perceived as an attempt to use his name to promote a product, something that could create trouble with his family depending on how they see it. After a brief conversation with his wife if there's one thing that was clear to me is that they were grieving and wanted to be left alone. We had to know about Husse of course and we weren't sure if he was in a hospital at the time.. but it was difficult to talk to her about Husse. She didn't know who I was and I'm not sure she'd like us to use Husse's name on the cover of a public release. It also is an issue for the user. As much as loosing Husse is hard for us and for the people who are involved in the community, it can be something other users aren't aware of and something they don't particularly want to hear about or see in the system. The final thing is that we, as a team, should stand behind our creation and never step in front of it. I did this when I talked about politics and it was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. With a tribute to Husse, it's completely different of course. It's a community thing and it's completely honourable, yet it places us in front of the system and this goes against what we're trying to achieve.

Now, with all that said I hope you understand the idea and that you don't take me as some sort of cold-blooded monster or something. I know you're shocked by the loss of Husse. There's no one in my team that was closer to me than him and it was extremely difficult for me as well. You're formulating beautiful intentions but I don't think it's a good idea.

When it comes to what Zwopper called "HusseSay" though, I think that's a fantastic idea. If somebody could gather his quotes and make a script to randomly output one of them I'd be delighted to make a fortune package out of it and to have mintDesktop allow the user to easily switch from fortunes to husse-quotes. We would highlight it as a tribute to Mats in the new features of Mint 9 and we would maintain the package across all future releases.

If there's any volunteer to take this on, you can start making the script with a tiny set of quotes and send it my way. My suggestion for this is to make different files for different types of quotes so that the script could be given options to pick its quote from all quotes, or only a certain type (husse saying something that could be considered a citation, husse making a joke or a funny quote, husse welcoming, husse helping, husse moderating, husse talking about himself, husse talking about mint.. etc..).

PS: About the forums, you have no idea how numerous you guys are... I came to this thread after I got an email from Jay about it. I'll subscribe to it now to follow up on it, but it's really hard for me to know what's going on within the forums otherwise. That's partly the reason why we're working so hard on the community website and why we introduced the Idea module.. for people's idea to be voted and to make it to the top of a list so that we can look at them.. There was a time when not only did I read every single post on the forums, but I would also reply to anyone. This is impossible nowadays. I'd have to give up on anything else I'm doing and to tell you the truth I'm not even sure I'd manage. Husse was the one bringing ideas and noticeable things to my attention, without him I am seriously blinded... I really hope some of the veterans among the community will step up.

Clem.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

sorry for the quick reply - have to shower and start work.

Clem I understand what you say up to a point. I was not commenting specifically on a release to Husse but some serious tribute of any kind. I gave a suggestion and sent an email to you since PM wasn't possible and no comment. There seems to be an attitude as to nothing has happened. There has been no other comment or info other than your post. There is no one here to respond to when weird spam appears or certain comments need attention or whatever. I would always PM Mats and turn him onto info - of various kinds including stuff for the newsletter/blog, and other relevant stuff. No one has officially been replaced. You say you hardly check in here anymore - then this place is leaderless and will soon evolve into chaos. I see an issue - I cannot do anything - i see an issues no one to report this to. This is the sort of thing i am explaining about. Possibly 1 person cannot fill in Mats' shoes but you should appoint 2-3 people to keep tabs and have access to banning people or posts or doing what Mats used to be able to do that no one else here possibly can or has the power to. It just seems broken and that no one is really in charge here anymore. Nothing has been done to fix this scenario.

I was not impressed with this community forum stuff - i signed up but didn't seem too interesting or useful - so I haven't checked back in - but i try to check this everyday.

Something went awry when Husse left us. Nothing seems to have been done to replace his loss and it does need it. I love Mint and that is what i believe in. I try to tell people about it without be pedantic or a fanboy. But there just seems to be a weird funny feeling around here, and that does not seem correct. This was meant respectfully; but one of concern for this forum.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well, I share your concern and I'm sure we've got the same solution in mind. We need new Ops and new Admins. We need people to fight spam, to organise support, to resolve conflicts and to make the link between the users and the team. Now, the problem is... I just don't know who to ask. I look at you for instance GrayWizard and see that you're a level 6, I need to check your background (to basically get an idea of your skills and more importantly of how welcoming and social you are), then I need to see if you're interested, how often available you are, what are you main interests..etc..etc.. it's a long and complicated process and as we've seen by the past, assigning the wrong for the wrong job can have devastating results, not only because it affects the project, but also because correcting the problem is likely to hurt the person's feelings and then the talent is wasted as this person goes. We only confirmed Husse was gone last week. Since then I've been upgrading the forums to the latest version, increasing the registration and posting security and fighting spam on a daily basis, but I need to delegate, that's for sure... give it some time and I will come up with a new team. And as you said, it won't be one guy, but many.

Clem.
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

Hopefully, the "level" attained on this board isn't a limiting factor in your process, as it is solely a quantitative measure of posts to this forum, and not an indicator of capabilities or knowledge. :wink:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

BriandD: Of course not. It's one thing among many.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”