Icons changing when double clicked

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Icons changing when double clicked

Postby CatastrophicToad on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:50 pm

What if icons, like desktop icons, did something (like change color for a moment) when you clicked them. That way, if a program takes a few seconds to load, you know that it is already loading, and won't click it again.

This probably sounds funny to any Linux user; we all know that once you click on something, it loads. However, there are a few Windows users who I might help to get Linux Mint, and they have programs that will run under Wine. Under Wine, programs often take a few seconds to load. Combine that with the normal Windows experience of having the system slow down and the cursor freeze and go to hour glass, and a Windows user may assume that nothing has happened and try to click the icon several times. If the icon did something, it would be more obvious to them that something has happened.

I have no idea whether making the icon do something when clicked would just require a little script, or if the X window system would have to be reprogrammed, and how much system resources it would take to do. I fully expect this idea not to happen.

It would be cool though.
CatastrophicToad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby LostOverThere on Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:29 am

Yeah, I'd like this. Like on Mac's, they bounce. 8)
LostOverThere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby WinXpNewb on Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:13 am

By the OP's post does this mean that Mint/Linux currently has no alternative to Ubericon?
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas