Uninstall Linux Mint easily !!!

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Uninstall Linux Mint easily !!!

Postby Dupo on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi everybody,

I translated in english a reflection made by a LinuxMint user : Jobastr, and some Linuxmint-fr users.

Here is :

I would submit to you a reflection made by LinuxMint-fr users. Why a simple solution to restore the MBR when deleting a Linux OS (like Mint or other) didn't exist in Linux Mint ?

For a beginner, restoring the MBR isn't easy. would it be possible to imagine a solution for this problem ?
A solution that would allow Mr and Mrs Everybody, to uninstall an OS without being left with a black screen.

Thanks for your opinion.
Dupo
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Uninstall Linux Mint easily !!!

Postby tdockery97 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:57 pm

You must be talking about removing the Linux OS from a dual-boot setup, otherwise there would be no MBR to fix. If the other OS is Windows, you should make a repair/restore disk (always recommended to be made for Windows), and very easy to use. There are also Linux rescue disks to restore Grub if the other OS is Linux.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
Registered Linux User #520972
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby markcynt on Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:20 am

Before removing Ubuntu/Mint and while logged into Ubuntu/Mint,

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install lilo
sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

Simple :)
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Dupo on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi,

some LinuxMint-fr users don't speak english, so I translated the answer of one Linuxmint-fr user to your replies. :wink:

Here is what he said :
-------------------------------------------------

The MBR backup would be made only in the case of a dual boot, indeed.
(Quote: you said we must use a repair/restore disk for Windows).
Ok, but it's not accessible to everyone to use it. How Mr. or Ms. Everybody can know that the problem is just grub ? They don't even know this name!

Else, it's not easy for a beginner to perform a system backup restoration, so he dares not even typing command lines with the Windows CD (eg : Windows XP). Besides, many people don't even know how to use the installation CD and perhaps they never launched it.

Often the Windows CD is required ... Except nowadays. Three quarters of PCs are sold with OEM CD or without any CD. So it's impossible to use the CD as it does not provide this kind of manipulation.

(Quote: you said we must use a Linux rescue disk to restore Grub)
Same debate! Once you are stuck in front of this black screen, how to know that the problem come from there ? How are we gonna get this kind of CD/disk when we lost access to our computer?

Results: complete Windows reinstallation (for those who know to do that), user thinking that Linux destroyed the Windows partition. Or return the PC to a professional (and yes this is the case for some). In the end, Linux has disgusted more than anything else the user who simply wanted to uninstall Linux because it didn't interest him anymore.
-----------------------------------

Well, LinuxMint-fr users suggest that Linux Mint have a tool or a program (eg. in the livecd) that would easily uninstall Linux Mint for a beginner. By restoring the origin MBR (after a copy of it during installation of Linux Mint) and who could why not delete the Linux partitions. Thus, the novice could recover his system to the origin (Windows), if he don't want to use Linux Mint anymore. Do you understand what I want to say ?

:wink:
Dupo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:32 am

I've never actually seen a linux distro in a dual boot destroy the Windows partition unless the user messed with the partions manually. As far as the Windows MBR, one of the first things that Microsoft tells you to do is make a recovery disk (Windows has an application built in to do this) or download one from one of the many sites that have them (they are usually free). I'm sorry you find yourself in this position, and it is indeed unfortunate that the PC manufacturers and sellers do not provide disks for this purpose. You would think they could spend the 25 cents to throw in recovery disks. The situation goes both ways...Linux does not come with a utility to fix the Windows MBR, and Windows does not come with a utility to fix the Grub bootloader.

tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby vincent on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:08 am

This is one of the most comprehensive guides to uninstalling Linux as I have ever seen: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-uninstall.html

The problem is that installing/uninstalling an OS and removing/installing a bootloader isn't really a simple nor easy task. There are ways to "dumb it down" for "Mr. and Mrs. Everyone", so to speak, but that's often still not enough for clueless users (e.g. Ubuntu's Ubiquity installer makes it easy for anybody to install Ubuntu...yet many people still trip up during the partitioning process), but because there is a variety of situations a clueless user could find him/herself in, there just isn't an one-size-fits-all kind of solution (and that's partly the reason why the article I linked to is so long).
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Postby tuBox on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:49 am

maybe we could suggest that Linux come with a warning splash screen , before it actually starts the install.... " WARNING: if you don't know how to set up a dual boot environment, ask your mom or dad for help" jk ;)
2Box.
tuBox
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AaronDude on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:40 pm

yeah I wish there was an easy way to uninstall as well. I feel the need to get something off my chest first. This computer hasn't been functioning properly since I got it. I sent it to Acer four times and they said there was no problem. The problem was something was causing slowdowns and one of the symptoms was skippy video and pretty much just static for sound. I got some smart guy to tell me it was probably the graphics card they put in there on the windows 7 forum. before I sent it in four times I installed linux mint on it. I had the same problem so I knew it was not windows 7 and hardware. Anywho just a couple days ago I removed the graphics card in an effort to at least get the machine working somewhat properly so I aint stuck with a 750 dollar 30 pound brick. that fixed my issue completely on windows 7 anyway. Linux Mint did not want to load using the onboard graphics so what I did was take the linux partitions in windows 7 and delete them. I learned that was a big mistake. Luckly I had recovery discs I made a year ago so I booted from the cd drive and followed the instructions to load the OS on again and delete everything. after about five hours of this windows 7 would still not start but I knew it was on the hard drive. for some reason grub wanted to boot something but grub didn't exsist so I just got a black screen with an error message on it. So what I did was find my linux mint 8 dvd and then reloaded the linux mint OS which also fixed grub again so I could boot windows. I was pretty happy it was fixed. I didn't understand the partitions for linux mint so I just let it do it automatically which kind of sucked and it split my 1TB hard drive in two even parts one for linux and one for windows 7.

Anyway I would kind of like to dump linux mint 8 now that I know windows 7 does actually run well. I'm using linux right now however and I just don't seem to have a use for it other than internet and listening to music and such. I kind of like those home made games for windows and well linux IMO is just too complicated. I love the programs windows has and how easy it is. Linux Mint looks very much like windows but I just like windows better period.

Would I be better off just getting gparted on a live cd and shrink the linux mint partition if I can figure out which one it is? I would kind of like to just use windows but all these instructions have me worried and confused. The link that was posted seems to be the most helpful however. I just wish there was some way to do this easily. I just don't know what I'm doiin' unfortunately. I also don't like how grub always wants to start linux mint by default. I wish it could be windows 7 at least.
AaronDude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tdockery97 on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:43 pm

If you are running Windows 7, it's really easy. First, to get away from the grub situation, run your Windows recovery disk. Pick the option to go to a terminal. Once in terminal type: cd /. This will take you to the root prompt. then type: bootrec /fixmbr. Then type exit to leave terminal. Select restart and the computer will reboot straight into Windows 7. Then in menu search field type disk manager and select it. You will be in a screen similar to gparted. Right click on the Linux partition and select to delete it. Right click on the windows partition and select extend and it will expand and take up the whole hard drive. Done.

tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby AaronDude on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:49 pm

Hey thank you! I will try that...gotta print it! will print those links too just incase something happens. I'm actually feeling better about this.
AaronDude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AaronDude on Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:54 pm

hey, I actually don't think I have a windows recovery disk. I have three dvds that are acer factory recovery disks that I made. it has windows 7 on them though somewhere. Is that the same thing or is there a way to make a windows 7 recover disk or is microsoft basically telling you you're screwed if you didn't buy a physical copy?
AaronDude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:10 am

If you look in windows restore or recovery there is an option to make a recovery disk.

tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby AaronDude on Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:54 am

Yeah, it will only let me make factory recovery discs. Maybe I should try super grub disc or ultimate boot cd for windows? Sounds like more effort though. In that tutorial that is posted above it talks about doing the partitioning first. Does it really make a difference? You make it sound easy but I want to make sure I get it right. So I can restore the bootloader first then delete the linux partition, add to windows partition, reboot?
AaronDude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:34 pm

AaronDude wrote:You make it sound easy but I want to make sure I get it right. So I can restore the bootloader first then delete the linux partition, add to windows partition, reboot?

It is easy. Do it in this order. Use the option to make a recovery/rescue disk. (This is not a disk to reinstall windows - it is for repair of the system or installing a system image if you made one). Then go to disk manager and follow the steps to delete the linux partition and extend the windows partition. Once that is done reboot but boot up the rescue cd instead of windows. Then follow the steps to fix the MBR. When you reboot you will then automagically boot into windows.

tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby AaronDude on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 pm

thanks I followed that and now windows 7 boots without a problem. I also deleted that linux partition but I can not expand the windows partition. It's greyed out. here is a screenshot
Attachments
partitions.jpg
partitions.jpg (154.4 KiB) Viewed 7324 times
AaronDude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tdockery97 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:26 pm

OK. You can't extend your windows partition because the old linux partition is still there. Right click on it, and it should have the option for either delete partition or delete volume. Do that. When it says unallocated instead of free space then you can extend the windows partition.

tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby AaronDude on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 pm

it will not let me delete that green partition..it gives me some error that there is not enough disk space. That thing to the right looks suspecious, I'm scared to tough it though. I imagine if I delete that something will break
AaronDude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AaronDude on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:00 pm

Ok it worked! apprently that 18 gigs was a linux swap file and it needed deleted. one minute later windows is now using my entire harddrive again! thanks! I might try linux mint the future, it just aint right for me right now
AaronDude
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas