64-bit

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

64-bit

Postby sehku17 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:47 pm

I have a AMD Turion 64 processor, and am sad that I cannot use its full 64-bit potential with the wonderful Linux Mint. I currently am using Linux Mint 3.0 Cassandra, but am debating upgrading to the new Ubuntu 7.10 instead of Mint 3.1 Celena. I have burned disks of each and compared them. While Mint is infinitely easier to set up, and comes with the best codecs and overall a better experiance, there are a few things about Ubuntu which draws me to it. First, as I have mentioned earlier, it has a 64-bit version. Second, it has a driver for my realtek 8185 wireless card (I have to use ndiswrapper on Mint), and lastly it has some good GUI Front-Ends for bluetooth utilities.

I would absolutely love to see all of these features on Mint, and if I do I won't have to worry about deciding between them in the future.

P.S.: If I do decide to temporarily switch to Ubuntu, can someone give me a link to the Celena Gnome theme so I can install it? GRUB and splash would be nice too. That way I can still look like I'm using Mint and not feel like a traitor.
sehku17
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:28 am

We have debated 64-bit support in the Mint team, but decided that for now we will stick with 32 bit
The 64 bit Athlon works perfectly well on 32 bits, Not quite as good support on Intel
Even so the gain is small - almost all applications are 32 bit anyway....
I would wait until we see 64 bit apps being developed - and, yes I have a 64 bit Athlon :lol:
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas