Start Menu Style

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

Start Menu Style

Postby johnwillis on Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:30 pm

I have recently installed Mint for my best friend, who believe it or not hated the "Block Style" start menu.

He said it was confusing and not as simple to find things as the Ubuntu one he had tried on my laptop.

Now I am not suggesting that the menu should be got rid of, but could it be made a question on the post-install wizard...

"Please select a menu style... - Block (with screen shot) or Classic (with screen shot)

Just a thought.

John
User avatar
johnwillis
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, UK

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby Guest on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 pm

You can always remove the Mintmenu and revert to the standard Gnome menu. To do this, right-click on the mintmenu and select 'remove from panel'. Next, open Synaptic (package manager) and search for gnome-main-menu. Install it. Finally, right click somewhere else on the gnome-panel and select 'add to panel.' In the applet that appears, select gnome-main-menu. That's it - no more mintumenu. I hope this helps.
Guest
 

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby johnwillis on Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:13 pm

Guest wrote:You can always remove the Mintmenu and revert to the standard Gnome menu. To do this, right-click on the mintmenu and select 'remove from panel'. Next, open Synaptic (package manager) and search for gnome-main-menu. Install it. Finally, right click somewhere else on the gnome-panel and select 'add to panel.' In the applet that appears, select gnome-main-menu. That's it - no more mintumenu. I hope this helps.


I realise that this is possible, however it's not great for a new user. If they are unsure of the OS and how it works, it would be better for a wizard to ask them, just a thought.
User avatar
johnwillis
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Wolverhampton, UK

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby Zwopper on Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:52 am

johnwillis wrote:I realise that this is possible, however it's not great for a new user. If they are unsure of the OS and how it works, it would be better for a wizard to ask them, just a thought.

I agree!
All friendliness is good in winning people over.
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby ricky on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:31 pm

we can't wizard everything guys, and that is a pretty trivial thing to wizard to me.
User avatar
ricky
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby Ede on Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:11 am

Plus, for a total newbie, the mintMenu is easier to understand than the default gnome main menu. I can bet he would say the same thing about the gnome main menu if he'd used the mint-menu first.
User avatar
Ede
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby McLovin on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:53 pm

I started with KDE and that main menu about 4 1/2 years ago, talk about confusing. OUCHIE!
User avatar
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby lakehousetech on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:08 pm

Yeah....It's a bit silly to complain about the menu. Gnome and KDE have the advantage of being very configurable as compared to the Windows desktop. It must just be weird after using Windows for so long.
User avatar
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:34 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby guest on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:47 am

Ede wrote:Plus, for a total newbie, the mintMenu is easier to understand than the default gnome main menu. I can bet he would say the same thing about the gnome main menu if he'd used the mint-menu first.


for me, there's no big difference between the Menus. it would be better i think to make Gnome as a default since it's more pleasing to the eyes than the MintMenu, IMO.
guest
 

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby Zwopper on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:30 am

guest wrote:for me, there's no big difference between the Menus. it would be better i think to make Gnome as a default since it's more pleasing to the eyes than the MintMenu, IMO.

NO! :evil:
Keep the Mint menu!
Last edited by Zwopper on Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:57 am

The whole reason I started using Mint was simply because it had a proper start menu in the right place unlike all these other Gnome distros. :twisted:
User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby Ede on Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Zwopper wrote:
Ede wrote:for me, there's no big difference between the Menus. it would be better i think to make Gnome as a default since it's more pleasing to the eyes than the MintMenu, IMO.

NO! :evil:
Keep the Mint menu!

I did not write that.
User avatar
Ede
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby Zwopper on Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:44 pm

Ede wrote:
Zwopper wrote:
Ede wrote:for me, there's no big difference between the Menus. it would be better i think to make Gnome as a default since it's more pleasing to the eyes than the MintMenu, IMO.

NO! :evil:
Keep the Mint menu!

I did not write that.

Sorry - fixed! :oops:
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 13.10
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby molom on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:09 am

Can someone develop me a mintmenu for E17? Lars (the developer of the menu) doesn't have any time.

Cheers,
molom
User avatar
molom
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Start Menu Style

Postby JAK on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:42 pm

Ede wrote:Plus, for a total newbie, the mintMenu is easier to understand than the default gnome main menu. I can bet he would say the same thing about the gnome main menu if he'd used the mint-menu first.


I was not a fan of gnome until I used the MintMenu. I no longer use KDE.
.
User avatar
JAK
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:42 am
Location: Central Florida

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests