Start Menu Style

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
johnwillis
Level 1
Level 1

Start Menu Style

Post by johnwillis »

I have recently installed Mint for my best friend, who believe it or not hated the "Block Style" start menu.

He said it was confusing and not as simple to find things as the Ubuntu one he had tried on my laptop.

Now I am not suggesting that the menu should be got rid of, but could it be made a question on the post-install wizard...

"Please select a menu style... - Block (with screen shot) or Classic (with screen shot)

Just a thought.

John

Re: Start Menu Style

Post by Guest »

You can always remove the Mintmenu and revert to the standard Gnome menu. To do this, right-click on the mintmenu and select 'remove from panel'. Next, open Synaptic (package manager) and search for gnome-main-menu. Install it. Finally, right click somewhere else on the gnome-panel and select 'add to panel.' In the applet that appears, select gnome-main-menu. That's it - no more mintumenu. I hope this helps.
johnwillis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnwillis »

Guest wrote:You can always remove the Mintmenu and revert to the standard Gnome menu. To do this, right-click on the mintmenu and select 'remove from panel'. Next, open Synaptic (package manager) and search for gnome-main-menu. Install it. Finally, right click somewhere else on the gnome-panel and select 'add to panel.' In the applet that appears, select gnome-main-menu. That's it - no more mintumenu. I hope this helps.
I realise that this is possible, however it's not great for a new user. If they are unsure of the OS and how it works, it would be better for a wizard to ask them, just a thought.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

johnwillis wrote:I realise that this is possible, however it's not great for a new user. If they are unsure of the OS and how it works, it would be better for a wizard to ask them, just a thought.
I agree!
All friendliness is good in winning people over.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I started with KDE and that main menu about 4 1/2 years ago, talk about confusing. OUCHIE!
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lakehousetech »

Yeah....It's a bit silly to complain about the menu. Gnome and KDE have the advantage of being very configurable as compared to the Windows desktop. It must just be weird after using Windows for so long.

Post by guest »

Ede wrote:Plus, for a total newbie, the mintMenu is easier to understand than the default gnome main menu. I can bet he would say the same thing about the gnome main menu if he'd used the mint-menu first.
for me, there's no big difference between the Menus. it would be better i think to make Gnome as a default since it's more pleasing to the eyes than the MintMenu, IMO.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

guest wrote:for me, there's no big difference between the Menus. it would be better i think to make Gnome as a default since it's more pleasing to the eyes than the MintMenu, IMO.
NO! :evil:
Keep the Mint menu!
Last edited by Zwopper on Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CREA DIEM!

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

The whole reason I started using Mint was simply because it had a proper start menu in the right place unlike all these other Gnome distros. :twisted:
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Ede wrote:
Zwopper wrote:
Ede wrote:for me, there's no big difference between the Menus. it would be better i think to make Gnome as a default since it's more pleasing to the eyes than the MintMenu, IMO.
NO! :evil:
Keep the Mint menu!
I did not write that.
Sorry - fixed! :oops:
CREA DIEM!

molom

Post by molom »

Can someone develop me a mintmenu for E17? Lars (the developer of the menu) doesn't have any time.

Cheers,
molom
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

Ede wrote:Plus, for a total newbie, the mintMenu is easier to understand than the default gnome main menu. I can bet he would say the same thing about the gnome main menu if he'd used the mint-menu first.
I was not a fan of gnome until I used the MintMenu. I no longer use KDE.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”