mintupdate : should wait before connection is up

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

mintupdate : should wait before connection is up

Postby seb on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:30 am

Hi folks,

I just switched my Ubuntu laptop to Mint just yesterday... I tried Mint for the first time.. yesterday :D and it really impressed me. You've guys done such an amazing job.

Here comes my feedback after a few hours of use.

When I start my computer and log into the session, it takes a few seconds before the connection is up. I'm using wireless with WPA security and DHCP.. so it's not instant.

Apparently mintUpdate checks for updates immediately and reports it can't connect to update servers as soon as you are logged in.

Due to the delay the wireless connection is established, people would get a "broken" lock icon for the 1st 5 minutes, which can be disturbing for some people (I changed the check to 60 minutes, which means a broken lock icon for an hour).

mintUpdate should work along with networkmanager to make sure a connection is up before attempting to check updates.

Some other feedback to come from me soon, especially regarding i18n :P

Thanks a lot for the great work
Last edited by seb on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
seb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mintupdate : should wait before connection is up

Postby 900i on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:20 am

I get same, going to write a bash script to delay mintupdate until wireless is up and running, but never got around to it yet. Thats all it needs, I think.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas