Reboot the exact OS with multiple boot

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Reboot the exact OS with multiple boot

Postby Kyashan on Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:24 pm

Hi all,
I have a system with two partitions: Daryna and Win Xp and windows is the default os in boot options with grub. I noticed that when I'm in Linux and I have to reboot because I've installed something (ati drivers,for example) or because my wireless adapter won't work anymore (sometimes it happens) grub will choose the default Os (windows Xp)...I know that the menu.lst is on the linux partition,so why can't we use a "temporary" option when we have to reboot the linux system???So if I'll choose "reboot Daryna" when I'm in Linux the system will reboot and grub will choose Daryna,if I'll choose just "reboot" grub will choose default Os (in my case Win Xp)...Of course the "reboot Daryna" option should modify only temporarily grub otherwise Daryna would become the default Os...I' don'tknow if you can understand what I mean...According to you is possible to di this????Thank you very much

Bye Daniele
Kyashan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Reboot the exact OS with multiple boot

Postby linuxviolin on Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Yes that is possible. There are distributions that allow it in the menu.
I saw this in KDE distros, with Gnome I don't know. But how to do this if it is not installed by default? I do not know, sorry... :(
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Reboot the exact OS with multiple boot

Postby Kyashan on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:11 pm

linuxviolin wrote:Yes that is possible. There are distributions that allow it in the menu.
I saw this in KDE distros, with Gnome I don't know. But how to do this if it is not installed by default? I do not know, sorry... :(

Thank you very much for your help!Now I have Daryna Gnome But I think I'll pass to Daryna Kde when it will be avaliable(now for a problem I can't install the beta at all!).Bye

Daniele
Kyashan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas