Linux Mint 12, and beyond?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests

Should Linux Mint...

Maintain There Own Distro
34%
Follow Ubuntu
15%
Follow Debian
44%
Other (tell me in the comments)
6%

Total votes: 306

SimsoyZeta

Linux Mint 12, and beyond?

Post by SimsoyZeta »

Linux Mint 11 Katya has been released recently, and things are really looking to heat up in the Linux world. Unity, Gnome 3.0, KDE 3.x, KDE 4, Gnome 2.3. I was wondering where Linux Mint would head, do you think that it will over take Ubuntu? Will Linux Mint base off Debian more in the future, or will they become there own distro no based off of anything? I want to know what you think and what you predict, whats in store for 12?
Last edited by SimsoyZeta on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomizer

Re: Linux Mint 12, and beyond?

Post by randomizer »

The team isn't big enough to maintain their own independent distro, so I doubt that will happen.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's still very unclear what the desktop of 12 will be: Gnome 3 without shell is most likely in my opinion, as that will be the easiest one to get running on Ubuntu 11.10 (except Unity).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

If it's GNOME 3 then probably it will be with the Shell... at least Clem chooses to follow the Ubuntu way with Unity... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

SimsoyZeta wrote:I was wondering where Linux Mint would head, do you think that it will over take Ubuntu?
In distrowatch Page Hit Ranking with the last 30 days data span Mint is already leading Ubuntu so someone must be clicking a lot on the Mint page at distrowatch...
RichardLinx

Post by RichardLinx »

I'll be happy if they remove the excessive language pack downloads from the install, I wasn't paying attention and downloaded almost the entire thing. My precious bandwidth... :(

It would be cool if they can make Mint Menu run on top of Gnome 3... Is that possible?

Oh, and hello. I haven't posted around here since 2009. :D
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

RichardLinx wrote:Oh, and hello. I haven't posted around here since 2009. :D
Welcome back!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

RichardLinx: Only the language, that you selected, is downloaded. And English (thought it was US) is preinstalled.

Mint Menu does not run in Gnome Shell, but in Gnome 3 without the Shell, I don't expect much problems with Mint Menu. Probably a little change in the code will be enough to get it running.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

AlbertP wrote:Gnome 3 without the Shell
:lol: :roll: You know, even the famous 'fallback mode' is called to disappear...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

linuxviolin wrote: :lol: :roll: You know, even the famous 'fallback mode' is called to disappear...
citation needed
:D :lol: :D
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

zerozero wrote:
citation needed
:D :lol: :D
Yes, I know. :wink: But I read this somewhere in looking for something else some time ago now but I have not kept the link... :oops: I'll try to seek it and if I'll find it again, I'll post it here. Sorry.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I predict mobile applications being more popular and supported, not just Adobe Air but also Google's Android sdk
--and for Ubuntu the bleed-over of a multi-platform desktop probably based off ideas used in the mobile world, eg more touchscreen features etc. I hope it doesn't completely take over and turn the computer (with its OS) into a game playing interface device, too much eye-candy and not enough organizational features..

I think that people who use computers still like desktops, and will not go wholesale into the one OS for everything from the smartphone to the desktop to the TV

I actually prefer a desktop (home PC), not a notebook for most of my computing; but that probably pegs me as an old fuddy-duddy: I can live with that, if the OS keeps doing what I want on the bigger desktop screen
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

DrHu wrote:I think that people who use computers still like desktops, and will not go wholesale into the one OS for everything from the smartphone to the desktop to the TV

I actually prefer a desktop (home PC), not a notebook for most of my computing; but that probably pegs me as an old fuddy-duddy
Good and excellent! +1
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

nunol wrote:In distrowatch Page Hit Ranking with the last 30 days data span Mint is already leading Ubuntu so someone must be clicking a lot on the Mint page at distrowatch...
LM11 was just released. It will fall back behind Ubuntu in the next couple of weeks. Distro releases always cause a surge in traffic to the distro's respective Distrowatch page.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

randomizer wrote:LM11 was just released. It will fall back behind Ubuntu in the next couple of weeks. Distro releases always cause a surge in traffic to the distro's respective Distrowatch page.
True, but if Mint releases the KDE, LXDE or a new respin of the Debian versions in the next weeks it may last a little longer on top. Mint is also gaining on Ubuntu in the 3 months data span...
caprajax

Post by caprajax »

I think that people who use computers still like desktops, and will not go wholesale into the one OS for everything from the smartphone to the desktop to the TV

I actually prefer a desktop (home PC), not a notebook for most of my computing; but that probably pegs me as an old fuddy-duddy: I can live with that, if the OS keeps doing what I want on the bigger desktop screen
I thoroughly concur with this, and I am an old fuddy-duddy! :lol:
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

nunol wrote:True, but if Mint releases the KDE, LXDE or a new respin of the Debian versions in the next weeks it may last a little longer on top. Mint is also gaining on Ubuntu in the 3 months data span...
Oh I don't doubt that LM is gaining traction against Ubuntu, I just wouldn't read too much into the 30 day history :)
lool55
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lool55 »

BTW, I love to see the poll for this topic. Can u make it?
Mr.Big

Post by Mr.Big »

one more vote to ubuntu way (gnome 3 + unity)

if not unity PLEASE, not gnome shell!

gnome3 + mint menu i thinks its the best of two worlds
Cableguy707

Post by Cableguy707 »

Personally, I would like to see Mint have a new version where they would still have a gnome 2.x, and the main edition be whatever clem wants it to be, whether its unity or gnome 3 (or maybe both, but thats too much labor probably, seeing how mint already has a fluxbox, xfce, kde, lmde, debian, and kde edition. might be missing one, but idk)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”