Jupiter Applet (CPU scaling + more)

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
reoh34

Jupiter Applet (CPU scaling + more)

Post by reoh34 »

How about having the Jupiter applet ( http://www.jupiterapplet.org/) on Linux Mint by default. The main reason I suggest this is because it is similar to the CPU scaling applet already on Mint, but unlike the CPU Scaling Monitor it has the ability to save performance mode upon restarts and between AC power and battery power. In addition, it is a very small package that is lightweight, and has additional functionality such as device control (turning on/off WiFi, webcam, bluetooth), changing screen resolution, screen orientation, displaying CPU temperature (hover mouse over icon) and even choosing between external and internal monitors which can be very useful even though I don't have an external monitor to test it out. Pretty much it is a great supplement in conjunction with the CPU scaling applet or even to replace it. But, preferably a modified version would be awesome since there are cons. It doesn't show the actual clock speed, which I enjoy, nor does it have the option to set CPU clock speed to a concrete given set speed (931mhz, 1.33 ghz, and so on) like the CPU scaling monitor applet does.

I am a total newbie and don't know much about the Linux development process or anything about open source software, but I think there is interest in this, including from myself.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/618541
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1274455
Last edited by reoh34 on Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdamS

Re: Jupiter Applet (CPU scaling + more)

Post by AdamS »

1 problem

1 potential problem

1. not setting cpu speeds on any of my 4 systems

2. will it allow control per core and per thread like cpu frequency scaling monitor ?
reoh34

Post by reoh34 »

1. After installing did you restart? I had to restart before it took effect.
2. I don't know the technical details since I am a newbie, some one else will have to answer this, but as the performance modes in the Jupiter applet change so do the modes in the CPU scaling monitor applet so I am assuming it works the same way. The only difference the Jupiter applet saves the mode settings.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

1. DOH!!! me a rookie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. nope , it only sets performance on 1 core and leaves all other cores and threads down clocked.

not cool, wont work here.

ALL AMD,s athlon II and phenom 2 set speeds per core not 1 fits all.

ALL intel i5 i7 set speeds per core and per thread.

So ya need control over each core and each thread.

thus, 1 instance of CPU scaling app per each. Just no way to do this with this app.

Sorry bud.
reoh34

Post by reoh34 »

2. DOH! to me as well. Seemed awesome and promising maybe it can be modified or the developer would update it some how? I have a Intel i3, so you are basically saying it doesn't work the same as the CPU scaling monitor applet and I should just stick with the CPU scaling monitor applet? But, then how come every time I change modes in Jupiter applet the mode changes in the CPU scaling applet (sorry noob here)?
fewt

Post by fewt »

Jupiter supports scaling an unimited number of cores.
reoh34

Post by reoh34 »

fewt wrote:Jupiter supports scaling an unimited number of cores.
So I just want to confirm that it basically works the same as the CPU scaling monitor applet just with ability to save + more?
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

I have tried it several times, performance setting is only showing on 1 core. All others remain on demand.

I just not not see a way to use this to control each core and each thread.

Pity , would be nice to have it in one neat spot.
fewt

Post by fewt »

reoh34 wrote:
So I just want to confirm that it basically works the same as the CPU scaling monitor applet just with ability to save + more?
Yes, it changes the CPU governor like the scaling applet does and it saves it. In addition though, Jupiter will re-configure the kernel when you switch to battery to save power, and configure it for performance once you plug back in. The CPU scaling applet won't do that.

If you have an Eee PC, Jupiter will also control Super Hybrid Engine, if not that function will just get ignored.
fewt

Post by fewt »

AdamS wrote:
I have tried it several times, performance setting is only showing on 1 core. All others remain on demand.

I just not not see a way to use this to control each core and each thread.

Pity , would be nice to have it in one neat spot.

Code: Select all

cd /sys/devices/system/cpu
watch 'cat cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor'
and then pull the power cord. I just watched Jupiter change all four cores on this computer. :mrgreen:
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

so, jupiter is dead; what replaces it?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

please don't bump old topics

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”