Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Should user be able to remove elements from mint-meta ?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:33 am

Yes
3
100%
No
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 3

Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby birkopf on Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 am

Not a revolutionary idea but will help a lot.
Both of those packages carry a lot of useful software but some of us like total ergonomy and usability... ans so - after fresh installation I am always removing program that I will never use. Software like pidgim, tomboy, etc. gets removed to not sit in the disk without purpose.

Issue is - if a user wants to remove them, whole mint-meta package need to be removed/broken. On top of that I am loosing other software that I would like to use.

Could that be changed in next Mint ? I don't dare to say fixed, as this is not a bug, but I hope I will be understood.

- What are your opinions ?

I included small poll for graphical representation of opinions.
birkopf
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:53 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby birkopf on Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:00 am

I actually figured out today that mint-meta-gnome-dvd is causing problems *IF* package is broken and than you try to use program from that package.
birkopf
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:53 am

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby rfbennett1 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:14 pm

birkopf wrote:Not a revolutionary idea but will help a lot.
Both of those packages carry a lot of useful software but some of us like total ergonomy and usability... ans so - after fresh installation I am always removing program that I will never use. Software like pidgim, tomboy, etc. gets removed to not sit in the disk without purpose.

Issue is - if a user wants to remove them, whole mint-meta package need to be removed/broken. On top of that I am loosing other software that I would like to use.

Could that be changed in next Mint ? I don't dare to say fixed, as this is not a bug, but I hope I will be understood.

- What are your opinions ?

I included small poll for graphical representation of opinions.



I agree with the chap i have often found myself trying to uninstall software that i don't or won't ever need only to find that i have to remove meta gnome or meta dvd it is a very logical solution to seperate them. It would also enhance usability ect ect.
Image
Dell Presicion Workstation 470
Dual Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz Hyperthreaded
12GB DDR2 ECC RAM
1GB Nvidia Gefore 8400 GS Cuda
Linux Mint 13 MATE 64
User avatar
rfbennett1
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:27 pm
Location: Preston, Lancashire, United Kingdom

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby wei2912 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:53 am

Agree. However, it seems that after an update from the update manager, you would be able to uninstall programs without removing mint-meta-gnome and mint-meta-gnome-dvd. So if i am right, mint 12 should have programs that when uninstalled do not remove mint-meta-gnome or mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

As an extra point, Linux Mint 12 should prevent users from removing important software to prevent newbies from accidentally destroying their OS. There should also be an option to disable it for advanced users.
wei2912
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby birkopf on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:49 am

wei2912 wrote:As an extra point, Linux Mint 12 should prevent users from removing important software to prevent newbies from accidentally destroying their OS. There should also be an option to disable it for advanced users.


Simple information like below will do just fine:

"Removing those packages will make your system unstable... potentially even break.
Are you sure you know what are you doing ?
(Click) YES / NO"

Linux should be about free choice and flexibility :)
birkopf
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:53 am

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby wei2912 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:34 am

Great idea. What we need is to let a member of the developing team to see this.
wei2912
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby proxima_centauri on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:36 am

All you need to do is remove mint-meta-gnome or mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

Am I missing something? It is only a 'meta-package' and contains no real data.
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby rfbennett1 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:27 pm

proxima_centauri wrote:All you need to do is remove mint-meta-gnome or mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

Am I missing something? It is only a 'meta-package' and contains no real data.


He always has to spoil it just has we were getting started :lol: :D :mrgreen:
Image
Dell Presicion Workstation 470
Dual Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz Hyperthreaded
12GB DDR2 ECC RAM
1GB Nvidia Gefore 8400 GS Cuda
Linux Mint 13 MATE 64
User avatar
rfbennett1
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:27 pm
Location: Preston, Lancashire, United Kingdom

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby wei2912 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:58 am

proxima_centauri wrote:All you need to do is remove mint-meta-gnome or mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

Am I missing something? It is only a 'meta-package' and contains no real data.


I am currently checking the description to check if it is safe to remove.

EDIT: It is not safe to remove. Doing so will remove a lot of packages that you might want to keep.

2nd edit: Check below posts for update.

Descriptions:
<mint-meta-gnome>
Set of packages common to all Gnome-based editions of Linux Mint.

<mint-meta-gnome-dvd>
Set of packages included in the DVD edition of Linux Mint.
Last edited by wei2912 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
wei2912
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:25 am

wei2912 wrote:EDIT: It is not safe to remove. Doing so will remove a lot of packages that you might want to keep.

What packages will be removed with the meta-package?
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby wei2912 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:06 am

proxima_centauri wrote:
wei2912 wrote:EDIT: It is not safe to remove. Doing so will remove a lot of packages that you might want to keep.

What packages will be removed with the meta-package?


All which are part of mint-meta-gnome and mint-meta-gnome-dvd.

For example (before the 1st upgrade you make on a newly installed Mint 11):
tomboy
giver
thunderbird
giver
vlc

As i have said earlier,
wei2912 wrote: it seems that after an update from the update manager, you would be able to uninstall programs without removing mint-meta-gnome and mint-meta-gnome-dvd.


But i won't attempt to uninstall it. It might remove some programs with it even if those programs can be uninstalled without removing them.
wei2912
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:12 am

wei2912 wrote:For example (before the 1st upgrade you make on a newly installed Mint 11):
tomboy
giver
thunderbird
giver
vlc

Are these packages being explicitly shown for removal when you select mint-meta-gnome for removal?

It's my understanding that the meta packages contain the information to install a group of packages, but can be removed later on, without uninstalling those group of packages.
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby wei2912 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:41 am

proxima_centauri wrote:
wei2912 wrote:For example (before the 1st upgrade you make on a newly installed Mint 11):
tomboy
giver
thunderbird
giver
vlc

Are these packages being explicitly shown for removal when you select mint-meta-gnome for removal?

It's my understanding that the meta packages contain the information to install a group of packages, but can be removed later on, without uninstalling those group of packages.


No, these programs when selected for removal uninstalls mint-meta-gnome.

Will test out the 2nd one.

Edit: Removal is safe, thought they misnamed the package...
wei2912
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby wei2912 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:45 am

@birkopf

I think that when you install a new version of Linux Mint, you should update it first (update-manager, then the rest). Afterwards, you can safely uninstall programs.

(You might be able to do so without updating but i have not tested it.)
wei2912
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Split mint-meta-gnome & mint-meta-gnome-dvd

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:16 am

Yes, since mint-meta-gnome depends on those packages, removing any one of them will remove the meta package. This is safe to d.
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests