Please bring back the Ubuntu "Create Launcher" Capability

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Please bring back the Ubuntu "Create Launcher" Capability

Postby BobH on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:56 pm

In Ubuntu, you could create a launcher by selecting almost anything, then right clicking to create the launcher of the selected item. Mint seems to have discarded this for an inferior solution. They require the person to know the exact command or location of the file. I want the Ubuntu technique back.
BobH

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Please bring back the Ubuntu "Create Launcher" Capability

Postby 67GTA on Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:27 am

It hasn't been removed, it just hasn't been implemented in Mintmenu. If you add the Main Menu applet (default gnome menu in ubuntu) it will allow you to do this. Right click on the panel, add to panel, Main Menu.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby salai on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 am

Without adding an extra applet, you can use keyboard combination ALT+F1 to use Ubuntu menu.
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nelamvr6 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:55 am

salai wrote:Without adding an extra applet, you can use keyboard combination ALT+F1 to use Ubuntu menu.

?

That doesn't really help with the problem the OP has...
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby salai on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:17 pm

nelamvr6 wrote:
salai wrote:Without adding an extra applet, you can use keyboard combination ALT+F1 to use Ubuntu menu.

?

???
How much is your answer helping?

And who is this mysterious "the OP" and what is his/hers problem then?

I only tried to help with problem I understood "BobH" had in the first message of this thread.

By pressing ALT+F1 I get menu like Ubuntu's and there I certainly can do same things as in Ubuntu:
I can add launchers to desktop and panel and also add drawers/menus of groups to panel.

Or maybe I just don't understand the problem.
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nelamvr6 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:22 pm

salai wrote:
nelamvr6 wrote:

?

???
How much is your answer helping?

And who is this mysterious "the OP" and what is his/hers problem then?

I only tried to help with problem I understood "BobH" had in the first message of this thread.

By pressing ALT+F1 I get menu like Ubuntu's and there I certainly can do same things as in Ubuntu:
I can add launchers to desktop and panel and also add drawers/menus of groups to panel.

Or maybe I just don't understand the problem.

OP stands for "Original Poster", in other words the person who started this thread. This is a fairly common abbreviation used in very many forums across the internet.

And he was specifically looking for a way to right click on an object and then select to create a launcher from the object, as is possible with the Ubuntu menu scheme.

Your suggestion, while in many ways helpful and informative, did not address this specific need/desire.

I perhaps should have phrased my reply differently, I was intending to ask if you had some additional information on how we could use the info in your reply to address this need/desire. I apologize if I offended in any way.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby 67GTA on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:38 pm

That is the only way to do it unless it is implemented in Mint menu. Salai was giving the OP another way of doing it without actually using the menu applet, if he didn't want to have two menus on the panel, or really wanted to use Mint menu. The OP made this post in the right place for new suggestions. We were simply trying to help him until this might be a possibility.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby salai on Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:58 pm

nelamvr6 wrote:OP stands for "Original Poster", in other words the person who started this thread. This is a fairly common abbreviation used in very many forums across the internet.

And he was specifically looking for a way to right click on an object and then select to create a launcher from the object, as is possible with the Ubuntu menu scheme.

Your suggestion, while in many ways helpful and informative, did not address this specific need/desire.

I perhaps should have phrased my reply differently, I was intending to ask if you had some additional information on how we could use the info in your reply to address this need/desire. I apologize if I offended in any way.

I think my posting addressed just to the problem of "the OP". You had nothing at all to help him and you didn't even try. Have a nice Xmas and goodbye.
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nelamvr6 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:52 pm

salai wrote:
nelamvr6 wrote:OP stands for "Original Poster", in other words the person who started this thread. This is a fairly common abbreviation used in very many forums across the internet.

I think my posting addressed just to the problem of "the OP". You had nothing at all to help him and you didn't even try. Have a nice Xmas and goodbye.

Nice xmas to you too.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:27 pm

To add to the panel or desktop you just need to drag and drop it from mintMenu.
I don't see how this is inferior to the way Ubuntu does it.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby salai on Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:43 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:To add to the panel or desktop you just need to drag and drop it from mintMenu.

From Ubuntu menu you can also add drawers/menus of groups to panel, as I told earlier.

PS: I don't quite understand this forum:
If I ask some questions (as two times about excess memory that mintUpdate is eating when it doesn't find anything to update) nobody answers. Then - if I try to help others with little things I have found - some "smart guy" tries to put me down, without self giving any better advice.

I can solve my problems better with plain Ubuntu without this forum - maybe using only mintMenu as extra.
salai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nelamvr6 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:00 pm

salai wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote:To add to the panel or desktop you just need to drag and drop it from mintMenu.

From Ubuntu menu you can also add drawers/menus of groups to panel, as I told earlier.

PS: I don't quite understand this forum:
If I ask some questions (as two times about excess memory that mintUpdate is eating when it doesn't find anything to update) nobody answers. Then - if I try to help others with little things I have found - some "smart guy" tries to put me down, without self giving any better advice.

I can solve my problems better with plain Ubuntu without this forum - maybe using only mintMenu as extra.

People don't answer because they don't have an answer. Would you rather you got a bunch of responses that said "I don't know"?

As for my response, I have already apologized once. My intentions were good, but I phrased my reply very poorly.

I don't believe that the Ubuntuu forums are very different, it's very easy for misunderstandings to happen, and it's not uncommon for them to escalate. Can we try right now to stem the escalation of this misunderstanding?

I have looked over your post history, it is very clear that you have been very helpful very often. It was not my intention to offend you and I regret having done so.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas