LMDE netinstall

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
passstab

LMDE netinstall

Post by passstab »

I'm proposing netinstall for the LMDE editions of mint (LMDE fluxbox xfce KDE)
because lmde is rolling there are (i assume) more updates for it so it would save more bandwidth then a net-Ubu-Mint
(a rolling distro should have a "rolling disk" and a milestone distro should have a "milestone disk")

no reason it couldn't be just as easy as a normal install
maybe there could be one disk for all d.e.'s and (if that is "too confusing") maybe not
the only necessary difference would be the packages come from the server instead of CD and no live environment

both this and the normal CD could be released less often
making a lighter load for the devs

(the above is a edited version of my idea
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1359)
Last edited by passstab on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vincent

Re: LMDE netinstall

Post by vincent »

If you want a netinstall image, I would simply propose that you download one of the official Debian netinst .isos, and add the LMDE repositories to your sources.list post-install. Clem and co. are already planning to release several LMDE spinoffs (aside from Gnome, there's Xfce and the upcoming KDE), and I don't think it's worth the hassle of offering and supporting yet another re-spin of LMDE for a small niche of end-users who could achieve very similar results with a Debian netinst image.
passstab

Re: LMDE netinstall

Post by passstab »

vincent wrote: I don't think it's worth the hassle of offering and supporting yet another re-spin of LMDE
how much energy does it take to maintain a netinstall disk?
i can't imagine as much as a traditional one as it seems most of the work in releasing a traditional disk is patching which becomes less urgent
i don't know but i suspect doing this would make LESS work for devs because it would allow both images to come out less frequently
vincent wrote:for a small niche of end-users
a small niche?
if you were getting LMDE and had the choice between netinstall and non which would you pick?
i think most people would pick the former if faced with that choice
there are two reasons not to
the first is a slow connection and the second is a live environment
those in the first category should use the traditional disk but they are a minority (also i would suggest they use a milestone release)
and the reason to want a live environment is to check the hardware compatibility and the performance
both of which could change as the distro rolls

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”