Mint 12 with Kernel & Gnome 3!

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
wolverine_tech

Re: Mint 12 with Kernel & Gnome 3!

Post by wolverine_tech »

One extension that I hope Mint 12 ships with by default is the Power Off button in the drop down 'menu' (top right corner) in GNOME-Shell.
Otherwise, it is not readily intuitive how to shut down.
Regarding extensions, I fervently hope that they do not affect the stability of GNOME shell. The ones* that I've tried on OpenSUSE were quite stable.

(* Tried them as per the instructions on WebUpD8: http://www.webupd8.org/search/label/gno ... results=10)
HardyH

Post by HardyH »

wolverine_tech wrote:One extension that I hope Mint 12 ships with by default is the Power Off button in the drop down 'menu' (top right corner) in GNOME-Shell.
Otherwise, it is not readily intuitive how to shut down.
Regarding extensions, I fervently hope that they do not affect the stability of GNOME shell. The ones* that I've tried on OpenSUSE were quite stable.

(* Tried them as per the instructions on WebUpD8: http://www.webupd8.org/search/label/gno ... results=10)
You could just say:
GNOME Shell, it is not ready, or
GNOME-Shell, it is not intuitive.
Both sentences describe the usability of GNOME Shell very well....
H,
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

Well, I tried GNOME ver 3.0.2 on OpenSUSE & found it quite stable (zero crashes). Plus, ver 3.2 is said to be much improved.
So, I feel GNOME-shell is both ready & stable. I just hope the extensions with which Mint 12 ships GNOME-shell do not affect it's stability. [ The Mint team's 'mintification' of GNOME 2 rarely introduced any instability (except for applet crashes in Mint 11) - I reloaded Mint 9, which has been stable and snappy so far.]

I understand why GNOME-Shell may be disliked at first. (Initially, I too hated it.) But after a quick, easy learning curve, it became my DE of choice. Just like KDE 4.0 had some 'teething troubles', GNOME-Shell too needs some 'sandpapering'. But if you truly hate GNOME-Shell, try KDE (ver 4.6.5 is awesome) or XFCE (ver 4.8 had several bugs, but the version shipped with Debian Squeeze, perhaps XFCE ver 4.6.2, was rock solid, although a tad minimalistic).

Overall, we can be happy that we have choices ,right ? :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”