A Simple Request, please

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
tlcmd

A Simple Request, please

Post by tlcmd »

In browsing all of the Linux forums, I've run across many posts which assume that many of us, me especially, possess Linux knowledge we do not have. If those who post suggestions for running commands in the terminal would include the entire command line, sudo get-apt..... it would really be appreciated. I'm still struggling to get Xfce running and updating properly since I have to install it via Unetbooten from a USB stick. Hopefully a newly updated version will be out soon. The current one, 201104 has over 1k updates listed.

Thanks,
tlcmd
Habitual

Re: A Simple Request, please

Post by Habitual »

tlcmd wrote:In browsing all of the Linux forums,
Here?
We usually include the full command. :wink:
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Plenty of Debian based distros don't use sudo (user account that can use root privs when required to do a root action), they use su (separate user and root accounts, with separate passwords). A system that doesn't use sudo will require you to switch into the root account and run the command, missing out the "sudo" part.

A quick tip for you though. If you run a command that needs root privs and you don't enter them. Try the command

Code: Select all

sudo !!
and hit ENTER. It will run the previous command but with sudo before it. I've only recently found this one and am still forgetting it when I need it sometimes.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

as for the first part of your request, Habitual said it all;

the second part, well, when someone doesn't want to be helped is hard :mrgreen:
you abandoned this topic more than week ago
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

ZeroZero,
I trust the moderators of this forum will eventually evaluate your unnecessary and rude reply to my question. My absence from this question has been occasioned by severe family illnesses and death. My father-in-lw passed away on 14 August at home. My youngest son in Michigan is working on his doctorate with mosquitoes and dengue fever. Late last week he developed symptoms of this disease. My eldest son, 49, has signs and lab studies (reported last week) which strongly suggest prostate cancer. His biopsy is next Tuesday. On 31 August 2 years ago, we lost a 44 year old son to colon cancer. 11 months earlier we lost our 32 year old daughter to complications of MS. August and September have been very trying months for us.
For me, family illnesses and death trump my hobbies. Your unnecessary comment added naught to the forum, but was of the type which has the very real potential to discourage those who might be interested in these distros. Fortunately, every other request for information I've made on this forum, no matter how absurd, has been answered courteously and thoughtfully.

I'm a 70 year old retired redneck native Tarheel physician, who, like every other old dog, has at least one last bite left. If you are ever in Greensboro, N.C., and hear a growl.....

tlcmd
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Suggestions & New Ideas from Newbie Questions

FYI, the iso for the new version of LMDE is being tested as we speak. Shouldn't be too long now.

On a more serious note - I don't believe anyone meant any disrespect in light of your recent hardships. It is understandable that circumstances can often get the best of us, yet easily overlooked by others unknowing. We only have the facts in front of us, perhaps we can take this as a lesson in the fallibility of assumption.

proxima_centauri
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@tlcmd,
In any way my comment above was meant as disrespect, and i'm terrible sorry if it sounded that way:
- you posted a topic asking for assistance, and that assistance was given to you (on Aug the 29th);
- two days ago you open this topic, where you mention again the same issue;
- i had no way to know the tragic events in your family;
for any unnecessary stress my post has caused to you, i'm sorry.
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Apology accepted. Thanks for being forthright. I will try to do better also. I understand where you are coming from, but as a noobie, learning to work with and evaluate the multiple Linux distros to select the one I like best is, quite frankly, really frustrating. And I've repeated this request on so many Linux forums, I sometimes forget which ones. A friend "lost" his Windows Vista registry and after a long discussion with my computer guru, who prefers Ubuntu, and installed it on his Vista Laptop, saving his data first, I installed Ubuntu on one of my "trial" computers alongside Mint 11 (Katya). Now only Ubuntu 11.04 boots (Mint is still there, just won't show on a boot screen). I'm having a heckuva time trying to obtain that dual boot. Unfortunately, I don't speak Linux well enough to digest and apply the fix(es). I seem to be able to make (on another computer or two) a dual boot with Linux and Windows XP.

If I may ask you another question, please. Of all the Linux distros out there which I have burned to cds, I would far prefer to run Linux Mint Xfce and run Windows XP within it using a virtual box or similar program. My question: Will Linux then protect that windows application for the evil beasties, viruses, malware, etc or will I still need an antivirus program to protect Windows. I have 2 programs that are Windows Apps that will not run on any Linux distro I've found thus far (J Rivers Media Jukebox 8 and Movieorganizer).

Thanks,
tlcmd
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

tlcmd wrote:...run Windows XP within it using a virtual box or similar program. My question: Will Linux then protect that windows application for the evil beasties, viruses, malware, etc or will I still need an antivirus program to protect Windows...
Linux per se is not going to do that for you, BUT, VirtualBox (for example), have provisions that allow you -- in different ways -- to protect a virtual machine from changes every time you boot into it. (1) Simplest is to make a backup copy of the virtual hard disk file. (2) Another way is the use of snapshots so you can roll back if things go wrong with a VM. (3) Yet another way is setting the virtual machine's virtual hard drive as immutable. IMSMR, at least option (2) can be set through VirtualBox's GUI. Option (3) can be set via command line. Option (1), obviously, just use copy-and-paste.

Using any of these schemes should be enough to protect a Windows VM from being changed, at least until next reboot. So, there's really no need to install anti-virus/-malware apps in a Windows VM unless of course it's an absolute necessity and/or you require pro-active protection.

HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks. I'm learning ........ slooooly.
tlcmd

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”