Any chance LMDE will support Mate Desktop (Gnome 2)?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
cb474

Any chance LMDE will support Mate Desktop (Gnome 2)?

Post by cb474 »

Now that Linux Mint is working with the Mate Desktop (Gnome 2 fork) developer for future versions of Linux Mint is there any chance it will be supported in LMDE? I really prefer to have a rolling release distro, but want to stick with Gnome 2.
craig10x

Re: Any chance LMDE will support Mate Desktop (Gnome 2)?

Post by craig10x »

Others here with more technical know how could comment...but i would think not...simply because of the fact that lmde comes from debian sources...where as mint main edition is from ubuntu directly (a fixed distro and not a rolling nature like lmde)...i would suspect gnome3 will become "shell" in lmde when debian sends that part of gnome 3 down...seems like it would start getting rather complicated to hold both gnome 3 and the shell back and just stay with gnome 2 and keep rolling along...
If i am right...you'd have to go back to main edition if you want to get it your preferred way...
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

craig10x

Post by craig10x »

dagon wrote:It actually could happen:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... hilit=mate
Of course, Clem is discussing the ubuntu based main edition mint there...not sure if that could be applied in the lmde (debian testing rolling) situation, though...
cb474

Post by cb474 »

dagon wrote:It actually could happen:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... hilit=mate
Yes, it's because Linux Mint is already collaborating with the developer of Mate Desktop (a Gnome 2 fork) that I asked this question.

Since Mate is neither part of Ubuntu, nor part of Debian, it's seem irrelevant to me what Ubuntu or Debian would normally do. Mint is already going off in its own direction here. And since, as Clem says in the Mint blog, Mint and Mate may work together on a system that allows Gnome 2 and Gnome 3 to run on the same sytem and since the Ubuntu sources in the main edition of Mint come originally from Debian anyway, I don't see why these Gnome 2 packages couldn't potentially work in Linux Mint Debian.

No one is talking here about LMDE holding back Gnome 3 and Shell, as craig10x said. I don't see where my original post suggested that. The blog post from Clem says they're working on a way to make the two run together. So I was just wondering if this might be provided as an option for LMDE also. It would be a great option.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”