Old PC

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
miansupa

Old PC

Post by miansupa »

First, a salute to all users of LinuxMint.
My computer is a bit old, so when I double click on the icon of a program, it takes a while to start, so I doubt if I double click it. It's a good idea, that when you double click an icon, this do it an optical effect immediately to verify that the program has been launched.
Chao
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Old PC

Post by AlbertP »

You can add some more RAM to your old computer to get it working faster. Or you can use the light-weight Mint 11 LXDE version instead of the normal Mint 11 (same goes for Mint 9 and 10 which are having an LXDE flavour too).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Imhoteps

Post by Imhoteps »

I recommend http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=65

Here the screenie:

Fast.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Yes, Fluxbox will work as well, but for people new to Linux I'd rather stay to LXDE.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Yea, some cursor themes do not have much animation in their "busy" cursors. I have installed the comix, and the oxygen mouse themes from the Package Manager, in which I find that both have nice "busy" cursors.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I add the "CPU Usage Monitor" pugin to the panel so I can have an idea of what is happening with the system. If you click on a program you should see it on the "CPU Usage Monitor" as an increase in CPU usage unless you are already using the CPU at 100%.
Imhoteps

Post by Imhoteps »

I add conky :mrgreen:
swiftlinuxcreator

Post by swiftlinuxcreator »

The Debian Editions are much lighter than the Ubuntu-based editions, yet look and feel very similar. LMDE with GNOME feels faster with only 512 MB of RAM than the Ubuntu-based editions feel with 2 GB of RAM. While LMDE won't fit onto a CD, a USB drive is cheaper than a RAM upgrade and doesn't require you to access the inside of your computer. (And the RAM upgrade isn't an option if it's already maxed out.)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”