Linux Mint UI

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Linux Mint UI

Postby elitaone on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 pm

First of all, I am not against any new technology of any kind, so don't consider this as a rant of some sort.
Now developing with new technology is difficult most of the time and as you stated Gnome3 is still very new. From what I could see from the new Gnome desktop is almost feels like our Mint we are used to and love.
Almost is now a twitchy thing. I went to Mint because the desktop felt as close to what many people already know from M$ desktops as possible and I like it a lot.
What I cannot see to get familiar with is when desktops tend to "know better" what people consider important information or not and I remember it the reason for me to switch very quickly from ubuntu to kubuntu a few years back.
The first reason was that I liked the blue KDE3 theme more then the orange / brown-ish color theme and it was closer to what I was used to from Win95 - Win7 today.
Anyhow for reasons we learnt in school for human machine interaction is that in a perfect world the user sits in front of his/her screen and looks down at an approximate angle of 10-20° down on his / her screen and interacts with it.
For physical reasons the human eye has a larger angle of sight downwards than upwards and thats the reason M$ made their "task-bar" at the bottom of the screen.
Changing it to the top of the screen is just a nightmare to look at but Gnome is doing that since the first release for reasons I can not comprehend.
KDE on the other hand wanted to give users the best user experince and as close to what M$ was doing as possible but this is not about KDE.
For many years I am following the development of Mint and loved you for doing exactly what I am proposing today with the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and the Mint menu on the bottom left and anything else important to keep an eye on on the bottom right corner. I don't see any reason to change that.
At least for me I would have a hard time to train myself not to open the recycle bin to open programs and having to look for Minu menu since it left its default place.
elitaone
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint UI

Postby xenopeek on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:00 pm

Have a look at the recent blogpost on Linux Mint 12 progress. The screenshot and text clearly show Linux Mint 12, with GNOME 3 Shell, will have the Mint Menu and such on the bottom of the screen (made possible through the extension developed by the Mint team). The GNOME 3 Shell bar will remain at the top (for now, until that can be changed), but it doesn't offer any functionality you need to frequently have in your line of sight.

For Mate Desktop, the fork of GNOME 2 that will likely be moved to (as GNOME 2 is dead), you will have the panel as you are used to, though some work remains to migrate panel applets to Mate.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1851

You are not suggesting something that is not already published as the design for the next release :wink:
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ferri on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:07 pm

elitaone wrote:Anyhow for reasons we learnt in school for human machine interaction is that in a perfect world the user sits in front of his/her screen and looks down at an approximate angle of 10-20° down on his / her screen and interacts with it.
For physical reasons the human eye has a larger angle of sight downwards than upwards and thats the reason M$ made their "task-bar" at the bottom of the screen.

So this time I understand why I still had problem to use gnome upper panel although I liked it. Kde bottom panel was suitable for me.
ferri
Level 2
Level 2

Postby DrHu on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:37 pm

elitaone wrote:I am proposing today with the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and the Mint menu on the bottom left and anything else important to keep an eye on on the bottom right corner. I don't see any reason to change that.

.. I don't see any reason to change that.
Change is necessary, change is progress (of some type)
I don't like changes either, in fact I like user choice/customization options that allows me to maintain my preferences..

Nevertheless I was used to dos 6xx/DR 7xx and windows (w95x w98x interface style) before then getting used to XP and maybe win7 style
--it's not always change for change sake; which sometimes happens with commercial companies, in order to refresh their customer(s) demographics..

For a long time I was using Novell's groupwise (dos version) and found the remote button driven interface to be efficient and simple to use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novell_GroupWise
    Less clutter and faster than graphics remote connections, that is windows styles..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas