Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

The look of the Linux Mint 12 default Gnome Shell Session

1. LM12RC two panel desktop
24%
2. Old school single panel desktop
64%
3. Something else
12%

Total votes : 59

Re: Poll: The future look of Gnome Shell in Linux Mint

Postby bimsebasse on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:55 am

Just this, but it's pretty clear: https://github.com/linuxmint/MGSE/wiki
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby esteban1uy on Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:11 am

bimsebasse wrote:Just this, but it's pretty clear: https://github.com/linuxmint/MGSE/wiki

Oh... I see.
What I also see is that we are going to have another windows-list extension update in the next few hours...
Prepare to re-apply your tweaks!
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Rehdon on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:45 am

I would like a top panel, hope that it will be easy in LM 13 to switch from bottom (too Windows-like) to top (where the main items like menus, favorites, notifications etc. were in Gnome 2.x).

Rehdon
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby esteban1uy on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:27 am

Rehdon wrote:I would like a top panel, hope that it will be easy in LM 13 to switch from bottom (too Windows-like) to top (where the main items like menus, favorites, notifications etc. were in Gnome 2.x).

Rehdon

But you can have everything at top just disabling bottom-panel extension!
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cwwgateway on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:59 pm

I agree with the other posts that mint should have one bottom panel. If you look around the forums and through the blog comments, you will find the two panels a major complaint. I think that one panel would further help gnome shell with mgse look like gnome 2. Personally, I find the top panel to be a complete waste of space and to be inconvienient because different buttons are on the top and the bottom.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Postby craig10x on Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:12 am

cwwgateway wrote:I agree with the other posts that mint should have one bottom panel. If you look around the forums and through the blog comments, you will find the two panels a major complaint. I think that one panel would further help gnome shell with mgse look like gnome 2. Personally, I find the top panel to be a complete waste of space and to be inconvienient because different buttons are on the top and the bottom.

I believe Clem is working on that for mint 13 and will also be porting the original mint menu to mgse :D
For Mint 12 i am temporarily getting around the 2 panel situation by using the neat extension from the gnome 3 website that auto hides the top panel....it works great and restores the top space for me :wink:
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Postby cwwgateway on Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:33 pm

craig10x wrote:I believe Clem is working on that for mint 13 and will also be porting the original mint menu to mgse :D
For Mint 12 i am temporarily getting around the 2 panel situation by using the neat extension from the gnome 3 website that auto hides the top panel....it works great and restores the top space for me :wink:

I hope he will port the original mint menu, but as far as I have seen on the mgse wiki, they are going to improve the mgse menu, but I hope that that ends up like the "old" mint menu :D .
I am currently using the reflection extension, some other extensions/tweaks, and Esteban1uy's tweaks to get 1 panel with everything on it.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bimsebasse on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Hmm

Oliveber wrote:the two panel thing was probably a necessary evil given the short time in which the Mint team had to create a traditional desktop friendly shell.

Earlier in the thread:

bimsebasse wrote:It'll please the majority to know that a single bottom panel setup is in the works for Mint 13 - the two panel thing was probably a necessary evil given the short time in which the Mint team had to create a traditional desktop friendly shell.

Is this a new kind of trolling old people like me don't understand? *feels frightened and insecure and decides to vote for the tough-on-crime party next election*
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby esteban1uy on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:41 am

bimsebasse wrote:Is this a new kind of trolling old people like me don't understand? *feels frightened and insecure and decides to vote for the tough-on-crime party next election*

Come on grandpa, don't be so grumpy. The boy was just saving some keystrokes. :lol:
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby akavir on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:18 pm

I voted something else. I've been using Cairo-dock for about a year now, and it was such a nice surprise to see that in "Lisa" after the download there is an option for "Cairo-Dock w/Gnome w/effects." It works so well, and with no bars my full-screen applications use all the screen realty. This is the only option I may ever need.
akavir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby KBD47 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Maybe time for a new poll:
MATE
Gnome Shell
Cinnamon
Dock
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Postby bimsebasse on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Yup, but it's not really up for debate anymore, it will certainly be Cinnamon. Gnome Shell will be an alternative login session, at best. Unless MATE suddenly explodes.
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby KBD47 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm betting on Cinnamon.
KBD47
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas