Active Directory Authentication

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
emgy
Level 1
Level 1

Active Directory Authentication

Post by emgy »

I work in a large Further Education college in the IT Services Department. I have used Mint at home since 'Barbara' and rarely boot into Windows.
A major obstacle to even trying out Linux at the college is the fact that our Windows network clients use Microsoft Active Directory, and all our staff and students can access their 'Home' folder, and network resources from any computer.

There seemed no way of authenticating a Mint logon against Active Directory.

It now seems that a solution has been developed. See the following link.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open ... for-Linux/

The article indicates that it will be integrated into Ubuntu 8.04
I think that this will be a major incentive for companies and educational establishments to trial Linux on their networks.

Will Mint 5 include this feature?

On April 9th in the LinuxMint Blog, Clem wrote of Mint 5:

"The goal here of course would be to accelerate the migration of companies to Linux and to place Linux Mint on the enterprise market."

I think that the current lack of Active Directory authentication is a major stumbling block for companies running Windows networks.

Also see

http://www.likewisesoftware.com/

I very much hope that Mint 5 will take advantage of this opportunity.

Emgy
Husse

Re: Active Directory Authentication

Post by Husse »

A big step ahead in some respects.
I'm not quite sure how Clem looks on this but at least the enterprise edition will have this if Ubuntu includes it
Husse

Re: Active Directory Authentication

Post by Husse »

I'm aware of that, but it seems to demand so much tweaking that it in effect is not useful

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”