[SOLVED] Package & Update management in Mint 12

Contribute ideas for future releases.
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Suggestion & new ideas for Cinnamon go on GitHub.

[SOLVED] Package & Update management in Mint 12

Postby wolverine_tech on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Hello,

1. What is the difference between updating using apt-get update vs. Mint's Update Manager? Which is recommended?
(In the LM 12 RC, I found that while Mint's Update Manager showed no available updates, apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade did show new updates (I forget what those updates were, some python libraries...)

2. Is there a way to queue packages using the Software Manager? While Synaptic prompts for a password while starting, it let's the packages be queued without prompting for a password for each selection. On the other hand, Software Manager doesn't prompt for a password upon starting, but requires one for each new selection.

Suggestion: Please build that functionality be built into the Software Manager in future editions.

(I understand that the Ubuntu Software Centre can be added to Mint after installation & it queues packages, but would be nice to have Mint's Software Manager do that by default.)

Thanks.
Last edited by wolverine_tech on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chakra Linux, ThinkPad T61
LM12 64-bit, IdeaPad s10-3t

wolverine_tech
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Package & Update management in Mint 12

Postby remoulder on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:05 pm

wolverine_tech wrote:Mint's Update Manager showed no available updates, apt-get update followed by apt-get upgrade did show new updates

Mintupdate categorises updates on a scall of 1-5 according to how they may affect system stability, by default only levels 1-3 are shown and selected. To show all available updates just make levels 4-5 visible in the application preferences.

wolverine_tech wrote:Is there a way to queue packages using the Software Manager?

Not currently thought I don't know if the developers are considering this. This was done by design AIUI as it calls apt in the background - this is also why it asks for the password.

Please note this section is legacy, ideas should be posted at http://community.linuxmint.com
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Package & Update management in Mint 12

Postby wolverine_tech on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks for the reply remoulder.

I'll post the suggestion on the appropriate link you provided.

Thanks again.
Chakra Linux, ThinkPad T61
LM12 64-bit, IdeaPad s10-3t

wolverine_tech
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas