More possibillities during Installation

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
wubuntu
Level 1
Level 1

More possibillities during Installation

Post by wubuntu »

Hi,

is it possible to add a Step in Ubiquity where Users could choose their preferred applications?
e.g. thunderbird or evolution, epiphany/firefox/swiftweasel, openoffice/abiword/gnumeric and so on?

What do you think about that?

Greetings
Husse

Re: More possibillities during Installation

Post by Husse »

Thanks for the suggestion
We will have to use the Ubuntu Ubiqity a while still. As I understand it it's pretty difficult to make changes to it...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Another possibility to avoid a multiple cd/dvd download would be a modified network install. Of course this has some negative down sides for people without broadband.

I have always thought it would be interesting to have a kind of design-your-own distro set up. Have a small fast base system and a small set of essential choices with defaults as part of the install process. Then after installation have a separate routine that could be run that would give multiple choices with descriptions and recommendations in multiple categories that would include everything but the kitchen sink, so to speak. lol These of course would be downloaded and installed from the repositories.

This of course would require some major rewrite of the live cd installer. and much work on the Mint program installer or maybe a new tool altogether.

Just a idea.

Fred
shishKabober

Post by shishKabober »

my 2$ worth... (inflation)

A de-select option list after the all-important Fortune selection menu could make that section seem more worthwhile.

Yea, I don't really want more than 1 CD worth of basic installation, but selecting some "additional" software to be qued-up for installation after the install would have a nice user feel I think.
-- If it's on-disk good, else download , then update the remainder of the install.

I would NOT like the full repository displayed, as in my first Red-Hat install many years ago -- I had NO idea what anything was - very intimidating.

Scott
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I would like an option of where (or if) to install grub. MBR or partition, eg.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I would like an option of where (or if) to install grub
It has been there all the time - just a bit hidden
At the last screen during install where it's summed up there is an "Advanced" button in the lower right hand corner.
You can choose where to install grub
(or if)
No good idea not to install it - you want to be able to start Mint won't you?

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”