Search function in Cinnamon Menu

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

Search function in Cinnamon Menu

Postby vistad on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:45 am

Cinnamon menu search field worked great in Gnome 2 searching repositories and local files. I really really miss it! We need it. Clem, please put it back!
LM17 32 Mate Intel Core2Duo CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz, P5B-MX/WIFI-AP, 2.0 GiB RAM, 500 MiB Swap, 1Tb SATA Ext4, Bluetooth Level One MDU-0025USB
vistad
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Search function in Cinnamon Menu

Postby veggen on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:08 am

Back then it wasn't Cinnamon, but I get the gist. I pretty sure the menu features will eventually be ported, it just takes time.
veggen
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bimsebasse on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:47 am

Baby steps, in Cinnamon 1.1.4. the search will filter system settings as well (e.g. if you type "mouse" the mouse settings in system settings will appear), hopefully not too long from now it will zeitgeist integration so you can filter recently used files and folders - but, searching repositories? Did the old Mint Menu do that? I don't remember ever seeing an uninstalled repo package in mint menu. There's a gnome shell extension that does exactly that, I'll try and port it to Cinnamon at some port.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Postby cgrantmccool on Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 pm

I am currently getting around this issue with Gnome-Do...I've crippled it down to internet searches and within file folders that I have tons of junk in. It works alright, but, of course, you have to change the keyboard macro for how to activate Gnome-Do so it doesn't conflict with the Special key opening up the regular Menu.

With the number of files and subject areas I deal with a fast, indexed search of key folders is an essential function, for me.
cgrantmccool
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Tue May 08, 2012 11:05 am

The menu on Linux Mint 11 indeed also searched for installable packages in the repository.

Does dalcde's Classic Menu applet not provide this functionality on Cinnamon? http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/46
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas