Reiser4

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Reiser4

Postby ShadeTree on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:19 am

I've been using Reiser4 on my primary development system running Gentoo for the last year. It has been great and really fast. Thousands of compiles, reboots, power outages you name it and it has happened with no data loss. I can only imagine how much faster my laptop would be running Reiser4.

Now that would be sweet indeed.

ShadeTree
ShadeTree
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Reiser4

Postby Husse on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:12 am

If my memory serves me right this is included in the kernel for Hardy and will be included in Elyssa
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ShadeTree on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 pm

Husse wrote:If my memory serves me right this is included in the kernel for Hardy and will be included in Elyssa

Thanks for the encouragement, I checked the current kernel 2.6.24-5 diff and it isn't listed.

ShadeTree
ShadeTree
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:00 pm

Really?
As I wrote - if my memory serves me right, but I'm probably wrong I now realize
I thought I read that rather recently but perhaps it was just a discussion about it
Or was it ext4 "going gold"?
Anyway I read something about a new file (system) feature in Hardy
Should have investigated before answering
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ShadeTree on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:27 pm

There has been quite about of discussion. Some want XFS and there was a discussion about using some type of loadable module platform that would let people plug in whatever they wanted without recompiling. I don't know how far that got.
ShadeTree
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:53 pm

The problem I see with reiser4 is (I think) it's written by the same guy who wrote reiserfs, and he's either in prison or going to trial for killing his wife. Somebody on another forum joked that it won't be supported for 20 years to life! Anyway that's why most distros have switched back to ext3.

Has anybody tested out ext4 lately? (not me either) It's supposed to be fast and have a clear upgrade path from ext3.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ShadeTree on Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:56 pm

locutus wrote:The problem I see with reiser4 is (I think) it's written by the same guy who wrote reiserfs, and he's either in prison or going to trial for killing his wife.

It's a performance issue not a political issue. I don't care if it was written by a Muslim, Greek or Attila the Hun or whether it is used schedule children's dentist appointments or design nuclear bombs. ReiserFS and especially Reiser4 is faster than anything currently in existence, this I know from personal experience and every credible benchmark. The project was funded by DARPA to be the most secure file system in the world. It will never die, development was paid for with American tax dollars you can't kill it.

Taking away Hans Reiser's freedom should have no bearing on the validity of the software itself and if you've been watching the trial, it was written by a TEAM of Russian developers. Hans was the motivation.

But you're right, with that mentality guns, cars, and baseball bats are bad we should all be banned. Hospitals are worse because 75% of everybody in America dies in a hospital, we should close them down.

For those that wish to get their hands on the current reiser4 code, here it is.

http://chichkin_i.zelnet.ru/namesys/

ShadeTree
ShadeTree
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:09 pm

ShadeTree,

I am with you.... up to a point. I'll vote with you to get rid of hospitals because they are full of the sick and dying. They should be outlawed. I would also like to add mortuaries to the list. The are even worse!

On a more serious note; from what little bit I have been able to pick up over time on the kernel list, there are some that question how well and consistent the maintenance will be on the Reiser file systems.

As you are probably aware, there has been a long term problem between the core kernel team and the Reiser team from almost the start of the Reiser project.

A number of distros have had problems from the Reiser file system not being reliable on a wide cross section of hardware. This has led, in many cases, to dropping support for this file system.

Reiser4 may have a long term future but I don't see it being widely supported in the short term.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas