Reiser4

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Husse

Re: Reiser4

Post by Husse »

If my memory serves me right this is included in the kernel for Hardy and will be included in Elyssa
Husse

Post by Husse »

Really?
As I wrote - if my memory serves me right, but I'm probably wrong I now realize
I thought I read that rather recently but perhaps it was just a discussion about it
Or was it ext4 "going gold"?
Anyway I read something about a new file (system) feature in Hardy
Should have investigated before answering
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

The problem I see with reiser4 is (I think) it's written by the same guy who wrote reiserfs, and he's either in prison or going to trial for killing his wife. Somebody on another forum joked that it won't be supported for 20 years to life! Anyway that's why most distros have switched back to ext3.

Has anybody tested out ext4 lately? (not me either) It's supposed to be fast and have a clear upgrade path from ext3.
Fred

Post by Fred »

ShadeTree,

I am with you.... up to a point. I'll vote with you to get rid of hospitals because they are full of the sick and dying. They should be outlawed. I would also like to add mortuaries to the list. The are even worse!

On a more serious note; from what little bit I have been able to pick up over time on the kernel list, there are some that question how well and consistent the maintenance will be on the Reiser file systems.

As you are probably aware, there has been a long term problem between the core kernel team and the Reiser team from almost the start of the Reiser project.

A number of distros have had problems from the Reiser file system not being reliable on a wide cross section of hardware. This has led, in many cases, to dropping support for this file system.

Reiser4 may have a long term future but I don't see it being widely supported in the short term.

Fred

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”