Unified App naming Convention

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Unified App naming Convention

Postby xyzsor on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:38 am

I have this theory that people tend to find simple thing better.. For example when we open the menu in mint we see items such as "Firefox web browser", "Thunderbird Mail", "Pidgin Internet Messenger"..

I think it would be easier for the user to see Applications named "Web Browser" regardless of what Browser it is, or "email" regardless if what email client it is, etc.. This would reduce that clutter and reduce that familiarization of new users.. I think this would attract more or convert more ordinary users to Linux Mint.. I dont see the point why you have to mention Pidgin or thunderbird to an average user when all he needs to know is its an email client or an Internet messenger App..

We could do this to all built in apps..

The only problem i see here is that the original authors of the Application might oppose as they somehow do want to promote their app..

What do you guys think?..
Maybe we could like ask permission from the original authors and like place their real application name on the "about" of their app.. Or maybe we could promote their app in different way like placing a page on LinuxMints website that says
"Linux Mint uses Pidgin Internet Messenger as their preferred Internet Messenger!"

Maybe anyone has more suggestions or a better solution to simplify and reduce all the unnecessary clutter..
xyzsor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unified App naming Convention

Postby xenopeek on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:21 am

I think you've chosen your examples poorly :wink: Firefox, Thunderbird and Pidgin are applications that are available on all major operating systems. A lot of users are eased into Linux by the familiarity this brings--as they already know those applications by name from having used or seen them on Windows for example.

The duality of giving both the application name and its function helps users find an application in either way. When they read some article, get feedback on a forum, or just are musing about what kind of tool they should use, then can find it in the menu based on function. But just as often they may be referred to an application by name.

Calling a tool by its function only also halts a user's learning experience, and option to go explore for alternatives for applications. A flat-head screwdriver and a Philips screw-driver can both be used to fasten screws, but sometimes the one tool is clearly better suited to your need than the other :wink: If you don't know the names of your tools, but only their function, this prevents you from being able to ask the right questions when you get stuck...
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Unified App naming Convention

Postby xyzsor on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 am

Nice point.. Totally crumpled and threw my idea out the window.. haha.. JK.. But yeah, your right.. Thanks for the insights Vincent..
xyzsor
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas