Raise to Root User

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Raise to Root User

Postby A Future Pilot on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:55 pm

So one thing that has always bothered me is when I'm editing a file (whether in nano or gedit or whatever) and then it comes time to save it, and I realize that I'm not running it as root. Would it be possible to make an applet that could give a running application root privileges? Maybe something like the force kill applet, except when you click the window it raises to root. (And if you click a terminal window, any programming running in the terminal raises to root.)

Is that even possible?

Thanks!
A Future Pilot
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Raise to Root User

Postby viking777 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 pm

You are absolutely right, it should exist, the fact that it doesn't must mean you and I are missing something I think.

If you are using gedit for instance it should be under File>Save As>Save as Root User.

And providing it requires you to enter your password I can think of no reason why it doesn't exist already.

Just as importantly it should exist in the terminal as well, maybe in the form File>Repeat Command as Root User.

But it doesn't so there has to be a reason I guess?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Raise to Root User

Postby HughT on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Yes, I've had the same problem. Viking 777's solution is neat. What I do is to save a copy as a user on my desk-top and close, then with a right click, select 'Open as Administrator', and save where I wanted it in the first place.
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.
HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas