make a Cinnamon 2D (fallback)

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
Do not post ideas for application developers. Please use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo ideas.

make a Cinnamon 2D (fallback)

Postby livram79 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:21 am

I was glad to see UP4 in "incoming" repository with Cinnamon available for LMDE. Well, just realised Cinnamon is not supported by my hardware. Gnome 3 fallback is UNACCEPTABLE ugly. There is nothing left for me.
Please, Clem and Linux Mint Team make a 2D Cinnamon (instead of Mate), as Ubuntu made Unity 2D for the hardware which does not support Unity 3D. I am not asking this just for myself but for all those who cannot enjoy Cinnamon.
Are you willing to do it?
livram79
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: make a Cinnamon 2D (fallback)

Postby xenopeek on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Not needed, Gnome 3 recent build has already removed the necessity for fallback and Gnome 3 will run on any graphics card with that. This should roll into LMDE later as well (and Linux Mint main edition).
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby grizzler on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:31 pm

livram79 wrote:Gnome 3 fallback is UNACCEPTABLE ugly.

Depends on what you're after, I guess. With the help of gnome-tweak-tool, I managed to make it look almost the same as the Gnome 2 setup I had. Didn't even have to try to edit an uneditable entry in dconf-editor to get the panels and applets to behave. Cinnamon is a complete disaster in that respect (and dog slow...).
grizzler
Level 4
Level 4

Postby livram79 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:53 pm

Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Not needed, Gnome 3 recent build has already removed the necessity for fallback and Gnome 3 will run on any graphics card with that. This should roll into LMDE later as well (and Linux Mint main edition).

Thank you for this information.
But... will that make Cinnamon work well even on old hardware?
livram79
Level 2
Level 2

Postby cwwgateway on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:27 pm

livram79 wrote:
Vincent Vermeulen wrote:Not needed, Gnome 3 recent build has already removed the necessity for fallback and Gnome 3 will run on any graphics card with that. This should roll into LMDE later as well (and Linux Mint main edition).

Thank you for this information.
But... will that make Cinnamon work well even on old hardware?

Yes. Cinnamon is a fork of gnome shell, and therefore at some point inherits the code that goes into gnome shell, although it may take more time.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid
cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas