I have some ideas for Google Summer of Code:
* Cinnamon with a world clock and whether forecast. Maybe even something like http://windows.appstorm.net/wp-content/ ... /02/yh.jpg
* Cinnamon development could be done more with Vala/Genie/Python rather too much C. Unity uses Vala.
* Cinnamon with HUD http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/939
* Only two Mint Desktop spins. First spin which include Cinnamon, XFCE and LXDE. Maybe all would fit on a CD and during the installation the user can choose one. Second spin with KDE. Recently, LXDE has been released, but next version from UBUNTU will be released soon. Instead of creating so many spins maybe it would be a good idea to do more work on LMDE.
* LMDE with the Linux mint installer eg. which allowed to encrypt home directories. A wizard like in Mint to install all video codecs. Has LMDE the same hardware detection like Mint? Cinnamon for LMDE, currently the package is old and broken.
* Jupiter ( http://www.jupiterapplet.org/ ) for default for Mint and LMDE