Create an Ubuntu's fork.

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
latinomanz

Create an Ubuntu's fork.

Post by latinomanz »

Hi,

I think Linux Mint is mature enough and we want a different path than the one Ubuntu is headed for, therefore I think we should stop taking the code from Ubuntu and create our own fork but keeping 100% compatibility with Ubuntu, that way we can use all the software available for Ubuntu but we do not incorporate all the bugs a new Ubuntu distro might have.

Also, a release every six months seems too soon, therefore I think we should release a new version once a year, that way a release has matured enough before we release the next one.

What do you guys think?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Create an Ubuntu's fork.

Post by MALsPa »

How do you make it 100% compatible with Ubuntu without "taking the code from Ubuntu?"

I do like the idea of annual releases instead of once every six months.

You say "we" should create this fork; does that mean you'll be working on it?
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

I think it's called Linux Mint Debian Edition
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

No i dont develop the code but we are all part of the community, without us, the users, their jobs would be pointless ;-)

Well we can just once a year take the kernel so that their programs run on their system and add our stuff on their kernel so that we keep 100% compatibility.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

Debian Edition
Linux Mint released a Debian Edition (LMDE) on September 7, 2010, in addition to its other, Ubuntu-based editions. Unlike Mint's Ubuntu-based editions, LMDE is based directly on Debian-testing (as opposed to Ubuntu) and retains a rolling release schedule as done by Debian-testing. The last releases of Debian Mint were on September 17, 2011 for GNOME 2 and Xfce.

LMDE is shipped in versions with both a GNOME and an Xfce desktop, and is available for both 32 bit and 64 bit architectures
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

LMDE does not count because not all programs compatible with Debian are compatible with Ubuntu and viceversa, the only way is to take Ubuntu's kernel every 6 months or year and add our forked stuff on top of that. So kernel wise it wont be a fork but the rest will be a fork.
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

latinomanz wrote:LMDE does not count because not all programs compatible with Debian are compatible with Ubuntu and viceversa, the only way is to take Ubuntu's kernel every 6 months or year and add our forked stuff on top of that. So kernel wise it wont be a fork but the rest will be a fork.
name some. I'm getting alicia silverstone vibes here

Featuring the rolling-release update mechanism with updated software pulled from Debian's "testing" repository, these releases offer the following highlights: "Available in both 32-bit and 64-bit variants as live DVDs with GNOME or Xfce; the purpose is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base; all Linux Mint 11 features; installer improvements (keyboard variants, locale, bug fixes, UUID in fstab); update packs, dedicated Update Manager and staged repositories; GTK+ 2/3 theme compatibility; updated software and packages.

I think it does
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

But Debian updates their stuff too often which means bugs are fixed quicker but also things breaks quicker easier. Also, i have read that not everything that runs on Ubuntu runs on Debian and viceversa, if it is true we can take Ubuntu kernel like I said and add our forked out stuff on top. If Ubuntu and Debian are 100% compatibles then we can take the kernel from debian once a year and add our forked out stuff on top.

That way we keep Mint solid and we do not run into ugly things like all the crashes Ubuntu has with Gnome 3 and at the same time, we maintain compatibility with Ubuntu.
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Just a quote from wikipedia:

Debian and Ubuntu packages are not necessarily binary compatible with each other, however, and sometimes .deb packages may need to be rebuilt from source to be used in Ubuntu.

So thats why I said to take the kernel from Ubuntu so that packages does not need to be rebuilt
SurfaceUnits

Post by SurfaceUnits »

oh,,,in that case it would be linux mint
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

latinomanz wrote:Just a quote from wikipedia:

Debian and Ubuntu packages are not necessarily binary compatible with each other, however, and sometimes .deb packages may need to be rebuilt from source to be used in Ubuntu.

So thats why I said to take the kernel from Ubuntu so that packages does not need to be rebuilt
The problem is not incompatibility with the kernel itself (though the kernel DEBs of Ubuntu don't install in Debian) - the kernel is supposed to be able to run all Linux software - but incompatibilities with different libraries used by Ubuntu and Debian.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Well I just meant to take as little as possible from Ubuntu and leave the rest to us so that we do not incorporate some of their bugs to Linux Mint.
realitykid

Post by realitykid »

I think the way they are currently doing things with Mint is fine. However, I do agree with your idea of a yearly vs a six month release cycle.
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Also, i am not sure if this is possible but upgrading from one version to another Lets say from Mint 10 to 11, now from Mint 11 to 12 is a bit different but if they are more or less the same, then upgrading from one version to another one should be possible using the CD or with the Update Software program.
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Also, if they decide to release yearly, they could after 6 months stop development and only do testing might that be internal testing or just releasing a beta or both so that after a year it is solid rock!!!
latinomanz

Post by latinomanz »

Or we can go straight to the source and get it from Debian but we can take a version, freeze it, fix all the bugs and release it, then after a year take whatever they have, freeze it, fix the bugs and release it that version. That way we dont incorporate a package if it has been broken on Debian.

I just dont like the way Ubuntu is headed. They have a very large community but maybe we can depart ways now.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”