Make the "Linux Mint" ~30% faster

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
No support questions here please.
No ideas for application developers here please. For example instead use GitHub for Cinnamon and Nemo.

Make the "Linux Mint" ~30% faster

Postby nightman on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:32 am

Hi, following the new article on Digg.com http://digg.com/linux_unix/Drastically_Speed_up_your_Linux_System_with_Preload I've found out about two fantastic programs that speed up my Linux Mint. It would be fantastic to build it to Linux Mint by default.

Ok, so let's move into details:

First program is "Preload" - check http://www.techthrob.com/tech/preload.php

Preload is an "adaptive readahead daemon" that runs in the background of your system, and observes what programs you use most often, caching them in order to speed up application load time. By using Preload, you can put unused RAM to good work, and improve the overall performance of your desktop system.

So it's basically like Vista's SuperFetch but much less RAM consuming. The instalation is simple:

To install it just type in terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install preload

And that's it, after day or two it will remember Your most often run programs and will run it faster. Check the diagrams on the website provided above. I can say that it significantly improves some programs startup on my computer. RAM consuming is pretty low as well.

The second program is "Prelink" - check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prelinking and http://linux.die.net/man/8/prelink

Prelink is a free program written by Jakub Jelinek of Red Hat for POSIX-compliant operating systems, principally Linux (because it modifies ELF executables). It is intended to speed up a system by reducing the time a program needs to begin. Actual results have been mixed, but it seems to aid systems with a large number of libraries, such as KDE.

Most programs require libraries to function. Libraries can be integrated into a program once, by a linker, when it is compiled (static linking) or they can be integrated when the program is run by a loader, (dynamic linking). Dynamic linking has advantages in code size and management, but every time a program is run, the loader needs to find the relevant libraries. Because the libraries can move around in memory, this causes a performance penalty, and the more libraries that need to be resolved, the greater the penalty. prelink reduces this penalty by using the system's dynamic linker to reversibly perform this linking in advance ("prelinking" the executable file) by relocating. Afterward, the program only needs to spend time finding the relevant libraries on being run if, for some reason (perhaps an upgrade), the libraries have changed since being prelinked.

To install it just type in terminal:
sudo apt-get install prelink

and after the instalation:
sudo prelink -avmR

It seems to be very nice idea too. What do You think?
Regards,
Karol
nightman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Make the "Linux Mint" ~30% faster

Postby Kynan on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:29 pm

I love the idea! I know that i could run it on my 2 machines, though it mightn't be an option for everybody, people with slower systems will most likely need all the ram they can muster....

it would be nice if there was a safety override sort of thing where it can tell how much free ram is available during intensive tasks because when the computer is idle it would give false readings of what you really have.. either way it would also be nice to know the minimum ram needed.

I know ill be trying it... Cheers for the heads up
Kynan.
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby nightman on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:54 am

Kynan wrote:I love the idea! I know that i could run it on my 2 machines, though it mightn't be an option for everybody, people with slower systems will most likely need all the ram they can muster

Abolutely agree. It would be nice to test it better (how much unused RAM it will use, how it will behave on low-RAM computers etc) and make decision based on this results.
Regards,
Karol
nightman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:15 pm

Sounds like a good idea for the main edition, (and perhaps KDE) though it should be kept out of the XFCE and Fluxbox versions.

Just my thoughts...

OK I'm going to give it a whirl for a couple of days and see if I notice any improvements.
I'll keep you posted!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Kynan on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:12 pm

Zwopper wrote:Sounds like a good idea for the main edition, (and perhaps KDE) though it should be kept out of the XFCE and Fluxbox versions.

Just my thoughts...

OK I'm going to give it a whirl for a couple of days and see if I notice any improvements.
I'll keep you posted!

That sounds like a good idea since most people with slower systems seem to run those versions anyway. I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but on the weekend i will time some common applications i use and then see if after it is installed for a few days how much faster they run :).
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby nightman on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:16 pm

on the weekend i will time some common applications i use and then see if after it is installed for a few days how much faster they run :)

Do it please and let us know how it's going. I didn't measure program-run time before I install the preloader and prelink so my "feeling" might be false. Hovewer I "feel" the difference. Even the Gnome startup icons show not on-by-one like before but all at once. It would be nice to confirm that "feeling" with some measures.
Regards,
Karol
nightman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nightman on Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:17 pm

on the weekend i will time some common applications i use and then see if after it is installed for a few days how much faster they run :)

Do it please and let us know how it's going. I haven't measure program-run time before I've installed the preloader and prelink so my "feeling" might be false. Hovewer I "feel" the difference. Even the Gnome startup icons show not on-by-one like before but all at once. It would be nice to confirm that "feeling" with some measures.
Regards,
Karol
nightman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:31 am

Please keep in mind that there is a very big difference between "preload" and "prelink."

"preload" is pretty safe and does give somewhat faster start-up times for programs you use regularly.

"prelink" can give increased speed to both startup time and program operations. There are some "gotchas" though. Because libraries are prelinked to executables, there can be problems with upgrading programs or libraries.

I wouldn't recommend doing prelinking on systems that you depend on unless you know what you are doing and are prepared to repair the system when you upgrade programs and/or libraries.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Suggestions & New Ideas