Missing dependency in gnome-do package?

Contribute DEB packages
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Missing dependency in gnome-do package?

Postby mockturtle on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:49 pm

I believe the update for the gnome-do package today removed a dependency on libgnome-keyring1.0-cil that GNOME Do needs to run.

Here's my story:
Today I updated the gnome-do package and then removed some other packages I no longer needed, then ran autoremove. libgnome-keyring-1.0-cil was among the removed packages. After that, GNOME Do stopped responding to the hotkey, and when I tried to access its preferences from icon in my notification area, the application crashed. I restarted GNOME Do from the terminal and saw this:

Code: Select all
** (Do:7646): WARNING **: The following assembly referenced from /usr/lib/gnome-do/Do.Platform.Linux.dll could not be loaded:
     Assembly:   Gnome.Keyring    (assemblyref_index=10)
     Version:    1.0.0.0
     Public Key: *****************
The assembly was not found in the Global Assembly Cache, a path listed in the MONO_PATH environment variable, or in the location of the executing assembly (/usr/lib/gnome-do).

** (Do:7646): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'Gnome.Keyring, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=*****************' or one of its dependencies.
[Error 17:36:13.677] [PluginManager] Encountered error loading plugin: TargetInvocationException "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

** (Do:7646): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'Gnome.Keyring, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=*****************' or one of its dependencies.
[Error 17:36:13.960] Error in RunOnThread: A type load exception has occurred.

[Error 17:36:28.043] [PluginManager] ObjectsForAddin encountered an error: TargetInvocationException "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

I don't know much about how keys work, and I figure there's nothing wrong with posting PublicKeyToken, but just in case, I replaced the string with asterisks.

Then, when trying to access preferences, I got this exception:

[Error 17:36:28.043] [PluginManager] ObjectsForAddin encountered an error: TargetInvocationException "Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."
Exception in Gtk# callback delegate
  Note: Applications can use GLib.ExceptionManager.UnhandledException to handle the exception.
System.TypeLoadException: A type load exception has occurred.
  at Do.Core.PluginManager.IconForAddin (System.String id) [0x00000]
  at Do.UI.PluginNodeView.IconDataFunc (Gtk.TreeViewColumn column, Gtk.CellRenderer cell, TreeModel model, TreeIter iter) [0x00000]
  at GtkSharp.TreeCellDataFuncWrapper.NativeCallback (IntPtr tree_column, IntPtr cell, IntPtr tree_model, IntPtr iter, IntPtr data) [0x00000]
   at GLib.ExceptionManager.RaiseUnhandledException(System.Exception e, Boolean is_terminal)
   at GtkSharp.TreeCellDataFuncWrapper.NativeCallback(IntPtr tree_column, IntPtr cell, IntPtr tree_model, IntPtr iter, IntPtr data)
   at GtkSharp.TreeCellDataFuncWrapper.NativeCallback(IntPtr , IntPtr , IntPtr , IntPtr , IntPtr )
   at Gtk.Application.gtk_main()
   at Gtk.Application.gtk_main()
   at Gtk.Application.Run()
   at Do.Do.Main(System.String[] args)

After re-installing libgnome-keyring1.0-cil, everything worked fine again.

I dropped by the gnome-do IRC channel, and they said they hadn't changed any of the packaging upstream, and told me to talk to my distro's packagers. This was the best place I could figure out to post this information. Hopefully this can be fixed soon!
mockturtle
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Missing dependency in gnome-do package?

Postby viking777 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:09 am

Well done mockturtle. Reinstalling libgnome-keyring1.0-cil is all that is necessary to make 0.8 work for me.

Thanks.

OOPS: That worked initially but it didn't survive a reboot so back to drawing board I guess.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby viking777 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:37 am

When I launch from a terminal I get this:
gnome-do
Failed to open connection to session message bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
[Error 10:34:50.062] [SystemService] Could not initialize dbus: Unable to open the session message bus.
[Error 10:34:50.073] Encountered error getting GConf key Do/Platform/Linux/TrayIconPreferences/StatusIconVisible: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
Unhandled Exception: GLib.GException: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
  at GConf.Client.GetConnections (System.String dir) [0x00000]
  at GConf.Client.AddNotify (System.String dir, GConf.NotifyEventHandler notify) [0x00000]
  at Do.Interface.AnimationBase.BezelDrawingArea..ctor (IDoController controller, IRenderTheme theme, Boolean preview) [0x00000]
  at Do.Interface.AnimationBase.AbstractAnimatedInterface.Build () [0x00000]
  at Do.Interface.AnimationBase.AbstractAnimatedInterface.Initialize (IDoController controller) [0x00000]
  at Do.Core.Controller.SetTheme (System.String themeName) [0x00000]
  at Do.Core.Controller.Initialize () [0x00000]
 at Do.Do.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] 

That is from a root terminal, if I launch from a user terminal I get nothing at all (the cursor moves to a new line and stays there indefinitely until you close the terminal).
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby geotsai on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 pm

What's funny with this is that if I uninstall the version offered in the Linux Mint repos and install the Ubuntu version that they offer on the gnome-do launchpad page https://launchpad.net/do/+download that's labeled gnome-do_0.8.0-0~intrepid~ppa1_amd64.deb, everything works flawlessly except a couple of plugins that I suspect don't work too well in 64 bit. I suspect that something was accidentally left out in the Mint build in our repos.

Oh, and btw, I use Linux Mint 64x.
geotsai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mockturtle on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:43 pm

viking77: After a couple days, I have to say I'm having a similar experience. GNOME Do sometimes just crashes silently without warning. I saw a lot of errors/exceptions related to Pidgin and Window Manager plugins when I ran it from the terminal, so I disabled those two about an hour ago. We'll see how things go.

I'm still getting errors like these:
** (Do:28632): WARNING **: Could not load file or assembly 'notify-sharp, Version=0.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=2df29c54e245917a' or one of its dependencies.
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: could not reconstruct XVisual from visualID
[ previous line repeated a lot ]
(npviewer.bin:20950): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_detach: assertion `style->attach_count > 0' failed
(npviewer.bin:20950): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_detach: assertion `style->attach_count > 0' failed
(npviewer.bin:20950): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
(npviewer.bin:20950): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
*** NSPlugin Viewer  *** ERROR: could not reconstruct XVisual from visualID
[Error 14:24:30.621] Error in RunOnMainThread: Could not load file or assembly 'notify-sharp, Version=0.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=********************' or one of its dependencies.

(Again, I replaced the PublicKeyToken with asterisks on the off-chance that sharing it is somehow insecure.)

Don't know if it's related to the Mint build or if it's a bug on GNOME Do's end. I'm reporting in both places just in case.
mockturtle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:21 am

Hi,

Sorry about this. The Community Repository project is still quite new and we're finding our marks.. I approved this community package to get into "import" and it should have been more tested.

gnome-do and gnome-do-plugins were now removed from the repositories.

You can go back to the old version by removing these packages, performing an "apt clean" and an "apt update", and reinstalling them.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:23 pm

One thing is that it should be 2 packages and not set to all.
https://launchpad.net/~do-core/+archive/ppa
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Packages