mintupload-xfce

Contribute DEB packages
Forum rules
No support questions here please

mintupload-xfce

Postby emorrp1 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:54 am

Hi, since the xfce version no longer makes any source code changes to mintupload, I've transformed it to a meta-package (in the community repository) that now depends on the main mintupload package. Because it makes dependency changes, anyone who wants the latest version has to do a dist-upgrade:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The main reason for doing this is because there have been numerous new features implemented in mintupload that xfce users were not getting, see the changelog for more detail: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=23945

mintupload-xfce (2.1) felicia; urgency=low

* changed to a meta-package pointing to upstream
* this package can now be safely removed

-- Philip Morrell <ubuntu.emorrp1@mamber.net> Thu, 02 Apr 2009 14:44:44 +0100
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mintupload-xfce

Postby merlwiz79 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:38 pm

The reason I didn't dothat was because the old mintUload required nuatilus actions.
This way I wasn't installing anything xfce didn't need.
I didn't change this as Clem may add something else that is only needed in gnome.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby emorrp1 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:28 pm

hmm, sorry for stepping on your toes, I'm being very impatient at the moment. I figured it was a safe upload since it requires users to expressly allow it's installation (hey, it doesn't even show up in mintUpdate) I'll e-mail clem, as I don't see why he wouldn't agree to partitioning any future gnome-only into a separate mintupload-gnome package, like with the some of the other mintTools. That way it's the best of both worlds, everyone gets the latest "core" version immediately, and you can still add any xfce-specific additions to mintupload-xfce, like mintupload-kde does. Again, sorry for going over your head, putting it straight into the repo.

Also, kinkerl raised a question regarding installing mintUpload from a base ubuntu install, which suggests a similar question about the xfce version. Anyone who installs mintUpload in this way will not get the thunar right-click integration, which is provided by the thunar-custom-actions-xfce. Now there's a couple of potential solutions to this:
1) affects only mintupload-xfce: add thunar-custom-actions-xfce as a dependency of some kind (suggests?). However this creates circular dependencies, so I don't know if that would break anything.
2) affects mintupload-xfce, thunar-custom-actions-xfce: move the "Upload" action to mintupload-xfce package. This is the neater solution, as it's more closely tied to mintUpload than to thunar and I don't see any other mintTool actions in thunar...xfce and would also allow other xfce users to install mint's custom actions without requiring them to install mintUpload too.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:17 am

The problem with thunars custom actions is that it uses 1 file for everything.
It also holds the translations.
I have it set to work so that I can update the translations.
If you separate them, how will I update translates, which requires replacing the file with an updated version?
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:46 am

I see that makes sense then, what about the "circular" dependency option, is that viable, or will it start breaking things?
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:01 pm

It should have thunar-custom-actions-xfce as a Depends.
Also thunar-custom-actions-xfce should have mintupload-xfce as a Depends as well.
As long has both are in the repo, it'll work fine.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:30 pm

done

mintupload-xfce (2.1.1) felicia; urgency=low

* added thunar-custom-actions-xfce as dependency

-- Philip Morrell <ubuntu.emorrp1@mamber.net> Sat, 04 Apr 2009 21:18:24 +0100
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Packages