Mint Display Manager - Petra

Questions about all the other Mint tools
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint Display Manager - Petra

Postby kherring7383 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Is it me or has the option in MDM to select an gtkrc file been removed?

In Mint Mint 15 I always liked to use the GTK login screen with a Nodoka-Dark gtkrc2.0 theme.

And although I figured out a work-around, but would really like to see this option put back into the new MDM for Mint 19 Petra
Attachments
Login Windows.png
Missing gtkrc file selection option.
kherring7383
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint Display Manager - Petra

Postby eanfrid on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:45 am

Many options have disappeared, like the ability to use XDMCP (either as a server or as a client) or the ability to configure MDM from the login screen. Manually adding the missing config lines in mdm.conf does not change anything since this new version :? However, the default config file in /usr/share/mdm still tells how to enable XDMCP. MDM has then been so much dumbed down that it is now useless for me :( Got to reinstall a previous fully working version...
No, Linux is not a Windows clone for free - Before asking any question here...
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (Hanlon's razor)

Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.12 kernel - MATE 1.8
eanfrid
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Monsta on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:25 am

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/09/m ... 10-pounds/
clem wrote:Originally it was designed as GDM in 2007. At the time features which mattered (XDMCP, Xnest, Solaris support) don’t matter much anymore and new aspects have become very important (Interactive/dynamic UI, user switching, KISS setup tools, simple design).

And you know what's ironic? Back in the old days, the old version of GDM (2.20) has been chosen as a base for MDM (instead of the newer GDM3) because... it was more configurable :D

I actually don't care much about it. When they started pushing MDM I've searched a little and discovered LightDM. It allowed me to enable user auto-selection and only type my password to login, something MDM couldn't do at that time. So I switched to LightDM and I still use it. Its GTK greeter is nice and simple, it didn't change much since then, and that's good for me.
But when I saw that blog post on Segfault, I found the irony amusing. All that work on GDM legacy code... a lot of talk about how cool MDM is because it's so customizable... and then - bam - this big cleanup.
"Guys, you could just choose LightDM from the beginning, then add your fancy HTML theming to it, and save a lot of time and work", I thought. I haven't said anything in the comments though: what done is done.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby eanfrid on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:53 am

Yep. I will have to stick to my usual remote desktop solutions, i.e vnc connections with mandatory encryption - either ssh or stunnel - at least when using them over the Internet. However, GUI performances are no that high compared to XDMCP regarding LAN remote access when you have a gigabit home LAN and do not have to really bother with a high local bandwidth usage.

Edit: I just tried with lightdm instead of mdm => I only added to the lightdm.conf file the following lines and XDMCP works :)
Code: Select all
[XDMCPServer]
enabled=true
port=177
No, Linux is not a Windows clone for free - Before asking any question here...
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (Hanlon's razor)

Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.12 kernel - MATE 1.8
eanfrid
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Other mint tools