[SOLVED] Restore single file via Mint backup

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] Restore single file via Mint backup

Postby MintBrane on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Playing around with a preferences file, I managed to break it so badly that a nice program wouldn't run. No problem, I had used Mint Backup on my entire /home directory (encrypted, however, so the result is a nest of .gpg files).
I could find no clicky-feely way to navigate to a specific backed up file and restore it. I ended up "restoring" my entire home directory to another drive in order to get to one single 2k text file.
Is there a way to have done this without so much cpu and hard drive frenzy?
MintBrane
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: [SOLVED] Restore single file via Mint backup

Postby MintBrane on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:00 pm

It turns out that the backup tool is deja-dup, a nice overlay of duplicity, which has been beautifully integrated into Nautilus.

To restore a file missing from your/directory, just navigate to that directory in Nautilus. Make sure you are in "icons" view, and right click to get the menu. There, big as life, will be the entry "Restore missing files..." That will do the job.

You can also recover a file in Terminal with the command: deja-dup --restore yourfile

It was all right there just for clicking the help button. That will teach me to assume that the Help button won't work because this is Gnome. Sometimes, it does work.
MintBrane
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications