Before you post please read how to get help

Re: mintUpdate icon says "up to date" - even if updates avai

Postby hectorsales on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:42 pm

thanks, very grateful .... :wink: :wink: :lol:
Linux Mint 17.1 LTS Rebecca Cinnamon x86_64
hectorsales
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby norm.h on Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:02 am

I've resurrected this thread because I'm having the same issue in Mint 17 (Mate).

I've looked to use Karlchen's solution, (which worked for me in Mint 13), but I have no "10 periodic" file in the "apt.conf.d" directory.
Is there a solution for Mint 17?
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby norm.h on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:43 am

Is nobody else experiencing this?

I have two laptops running Mint 17 (Mate) 32 bit, installed from the same DVD.
On one, the Update icon changes (as it should) whenever updates are available.
The other one, the icon stays as a green tick and reports system up to date, even when updates are available.
Refreshing from the icon reveals any available updates.

Is there some configuration difference that I should look for?
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby niowluka on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:02 am

I have the same issue on LM17 Mate 64 running Openbox session.

I only ever install security updates, so I am ok to just manually refresh once or twice a week.

It does seem to me that Karlchens solution is a workaround rather than fix, as the refresh frequency in the applet is meaningless.
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 3.16.2 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby karlchen on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:26 am

Confirmed. It was a workaround for the particular issue that affected Mint 13 and Mint 14 in 2012. No more, no less. - And I am not quite sure that what we see today on Mint 17 has got the same root cause.
karlchen
Level 12
Level 12

Postby norm.h on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:06 am

Not wishing to be like a dog with a slipper about this, but in my case, why does it work on one laptop but not on the other?
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby niowluka on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:03 pm

karlchen wrote:Confirmed. It was a workaround for the particular issue that affected Mint 13 and Mint 14 in 2012. No more, no less. - And I am not quite sure that what we see today on Mint 17 has got the same root cause.

Looks like a plain old bug to me. Someone mentioned earlier this is due to priviliges, but I don't need admin password to refresh packages. It is only required for install.

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby netgooroo on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:56 pm

foobar, you might look at this as it may help. It's written for mint17 but I'm sure you could use some of the tips for 13. You could also upgrade to 17 and then do all this as well in addition to gaining benefits from the new kernel. https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-cinnamon-first
Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems.
~Linus Torvalds

~Mint 17 64Bit Mate~

Add [Solved] to the topic-title when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
netgooroo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby netgooroo on Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:00 pm

norm.h wrote:Is nobody else experiencing this?

I have two laptops running Mint 17 (Mate) 32 bit, installed from the same DVD.
On one, the Update icon changes (as it should) whenever updates are available.
The other one, the icon stays as a green tick and reports system up to date, even when updates are available.
Refreshing from the icon reveals any available updates.

Is there some configuration difference that I should look for?

Guys, once I did all the listed "tips" in the link I shared which includes editing the update package app, my install works just fine. No issues at all and I get notifications all the time now for updates. So, my advice would be to try the tips edits and see if that helps out.

NOTE this is NOT a work around.. you will be editing your system if you follow the tips. But, as I said, everything is working great for me.

Hope this helps. :wink:
~Linus Torvalds

~Mint 17 64Bit Mate~

Add [Solved] to the topic-title when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
netgooroo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby niowluka on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:30 am

netgooroo, did you experience issues with mintupdate before following the tutorial ? I've read through it and frankly I don't see anything that could possibly affect mintupdate. Also, from norm.h posts it seems the problem is not affecting all installations so maybe you are just the lucky one 8)

On a side note, I would advise against blindly following such tutorials to the letter. Every system (especially Linux) and user needs are unique, and there is never a 'one fits all' solution. What is critical for one may be completely irrelevant or even harmful for another.

niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby norm.h on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:51 am

niowluka wrote:netgooroo,
[.....]On a side note, I would advise against blindly following such tutorials to the letter. Every system (especially Linux) and user needs are unique, and there is never a 'one fits all' solution. What is critical for one may be completely irrelevant or even harmful for another.

Not only that, but the link is for Cinnamon, and I'd be wary applying them to Mate without a lot of background work first.
If it's a bug, then surely it would affect both my machines, since they're both installed from the same DVD?
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby netgooroo on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:29 am

niowluka wrote:netgooroo, did you experience issues with mintupdate before following the tutorial ? I've read through it and frankly I don't see anything that could possibly affect mintupdate. Also, from norm.h posts it seems the problem is not affecting all installations so maybe you are just the lucky one 8)

On a side note, I would advise against blindly following such tutorials to the letter. Every system (especially Linux) and user needs are unique, and there is never a 'one fits all' solution. What is critical for one may be completely irrelevant or even harmful for another.

norm.h wrote:netgooroo,[.....]
Not only that, but the link is for Cinnamon, and I'd be wary applying them to Mate without a lot of background work first.
If it's a bug, then surely it would affect both my machines, since they're both installed from the same DVD?

Guys, I'm not a n00b.. okey dokey.. :lol: I've been around the block more than just a few times and I fully understand what you are saying about each install being unique to each user. TRUST ME I just got done going through about 4 or 5 different installs before I finally settled on Linux Mint Mate because of how FUBAR Ubuntu main branch is now.

As far as editing installs "blindly" I always make sure I read any changes before I make them and, norm.h if you would have taken the time to actually READ that page, you would have seen that there was another link to Mate settings. I shared the edits for Cinnamon because I thought I read somewhere in the earlier posts that the person asking for help was useing that distro,... so, please EXCUSE me for trying to help.. and may I suggest that you do some reading before "pointing fingers" next time?

Just sayin.. :wink:
~Linus Torvalds

~Mint 17 64Bit Mate~

netgooroo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby niowluka on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:30 am

netgooroo wrote:Guys, I'm not a n00b.. okey dokey.. :lol: I've been around the block more than just a few times and I fully understand what you are saying about each install being unique to each user. TRUST ME I just got done going through about 4 or 5 different installs before I finally settled on Linux Mint Mate because of how FUBAR Ubuntu main branch is now.

As far as editing installs "blindly" I always make sure I read any changes before I make them and, norm.h if you would have taken the time to actually READ that page, you would have seen that there was another link to Mate settings. I shared the edits for Cinnamon because I thought I read somewhere in the earlier posts that the person asking for help was useing that distro,... so, please EXCUSE me for trying to help.. and may I suggest that you do some reading before "pointing fingers" next time?

Just sayin.. :wink:

Nobody is pointing fingers or accusing you of anything. Also, each one of us was a noob at some point, so there is no shame in that, not that anyone has suggested you are one.

Back OT.

I am just trying to establish whether the tutorial you suggested we follow actually fixed the same issue for you, but so far you have not confirmed whether you had the problem in the first place. If you can provide any more details on that it would really help.

Until then I will not, and I recommend the same for others, follow it. I was not taking a dig you. If it worked for you, great, but as I said, it doesn't mean it will by default work for everybody else.

niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby netgooroo on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:39 am

niowluka,

In my professional and personal opinion, using the tips edit suggestions is not in any way going to "compromise" your system. That said, I did not have any issues that I know of when I did my original install. Again that said, I'm a tweaker and, I always edit my system shortly after I install as someone has already pointed out to "fit my needs".

So, I was looking for a "fix" for something which I cannot recall right now that led me to that article.

So, as I have said, in my experience, utilizing the suggested edits works just fine. and I would advocate using it to anyone that wanted to tweak there system to enable it to be more reliable and stable.

I hope that helps. 8)
~Linus Torvalds

~Mint 17 64Bit Mate~

netgooroo
Level 2
Level 2

Postby niowluka on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:55 am

netgooroo wrote:So, as I have said, in my experience, utilizing the suggested edits works just fine. and I would advocate using it to anyone that wanted to tweak there system to enable it to be more reliable and stable.

Let's agree to disagree on that one. :mrgreen:

netgooroo wrote:I hope that helps. 8)

Yes, thanks again.

niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby norm.h on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:07 pm

netgooroo wrote:
niowluka wrote:netgooroo, did
[......] norm.h if you would have taken the time to actually READ that page, you would have seen that there was another link to Mate settings.[.....] so, please EXCUSE me for trying to help.. and may I suggest that you do some reading before "pointing fingers" next time?

OK, you're excused. I'll even excuse you for being so touchy! :roll:
But I did miss the link to Mate - my bad, but I've since read it and can find nothing that refers to my particular issue.
Thanks for trying anyway.
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby norm.h on Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:17 am

I've put both laptops side by side, and compared the mintUpdate preferences and settings.

On the laptop where the mintUpdate icon says "up to date" - even if updates available, there is a file "99synaptic" in etc/apt/apt.conf.d that isn't on the other laptop.
The file reads; APT::Install-Recommends "false";, and is the only difference between the mintUpdate preferences & settings that I can find.

Googling "99synaptic" I find 3-year old threads that suggest it shouldn't be there.
Could this be the cause of my issue, and what is my best course of action, please?
Synaptic Package Manager and Software Manager both work properly.
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby niowluka on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:17 am

I have the file. I don't think this is the problem though. When this is set to true, apt-get will also install recommended packages, in addition to plain dependencies.

Source: man apt-get

Why you have it on one pc and not on other is another question. I cannot detect what package does the file belong to.

niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby norm.h on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:50 am

Clutching at straws here, but THIS THREAD which is some 2 years old, suggests that 99synaptic is no longer required.
As "APT::Install-Recommends" is set to "false" it's not doing anything anyway, so could it be removed?
Would that be a case of commenting out the line, or deleting 99synaptic?
Since it isn't on the other laptop, it's obviously not needed.
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby norm.h on Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:45 am

Had a brainwave (not).
Went to my little-used desktop box, which also has LM17 from the same DVD as the two laptops.
Update icon in the system tray showed "system up to date", but as it hadn't been used for a while, I knew there were updates available.
Auto-refresh on this box is set to 30 minutes, so it can't be that.
Found "99synaptic", so decided to try to remove it using the rm command, but told "no such file or directory".
Code: Select all
normh@normh-desktop ~ $ sudo rm 99synaptic
[sudo] password for normh:
rm: cannot remove ‘99synaptic’: No such file or directory
normh@normh-desktop ~ $ sudo rm /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic
normh@normh-desktop ~ $
normh@normh-desktop ~ $ rm /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic
rm: cannot remove ‘/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99synaptic’: No such file or directory
normh@normh-desktop ~ $

Refreshed the update icon and installed 23 updates.
Went back to find "99synaptic" but it had gone!
Rebooted and looked again - still gone!

Must try that on the laptop, and watch what happens :? :? (doubly confused)

EDIT: Carried out same procedure (exactly) on the laptop - same result.
Will have to see what effect (if any) this has on the update icon changing when updates are available.
Last edited by norm.h on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:12 am, edited 7 times in total.
norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Software & Applications