Mint16 Getting KDE packages in Update???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mint16 Getting KDE packages in Update???

Postby asciiman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi everyone-

I am running Mint 16 Cinnamon 64 bit.

This may be nothing, but I don't remember seeing this in Mint 15...

Today, Mint Update presented me 52 level 3 package updates from the Ubuntu repository, most of which seem to apply to KDE. Is this appropriate for a Cinnamon or Mate system?

I have not yet applied the packages to my system. Just wondering if these are for developers or if this is a glitch?

Thanks for any clarification,

asciiman
asciiman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint16 Getting KDE packages in Update???

Postby Fraoch on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:08 pm

What other programs have you installed?

If any of them have KDE dependencies then you will get all KDE updates too.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby asciiman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:18 pm

OK... seems to makes sense.

I have installed a few items, nothing KDE to my knowledge... I have used Cinnamon's Download Mgr for pkg managment, since I am a relatively new user and want to keep my system as clean as I can.

I recently tried SolydK 64 (Home Edition with KDE desktop) from a USB stick... I wonder if there could be something going on there?
asciiman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fraoch on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:22 pm

asciiman wrote:I have installed a few items, nothing KDE to my knowledge...

You'd be surprised!

I recently tried SolydK 64 (Home Edition with KDE desktop) from a USB stick...

If it didn't install anything to the hard drive (i.e. if it was a live distribution), then that's not it.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby asciiman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Fraoch wrote:
If it didn't install anything to the hard drive (i.e. if it was a live distribution), then that's not it.

Well, I didn't give it permission to write to the drive, unless it used sectors of my HDD for a swap file (I don't use a swap partition for Mint16)... but in theory any swap data would just be re-cycled and wouldn't write to the Mint file system...

Would there have been ANY KDE support pkgs installed with Mint 16? If not, I could delete them through Synaptc Pkgs Mgr.

Or should I just shutup and install these 52 updates?
asciiman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fraoch on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:29 pm

asciiman wrote:Well, I didn't give it permission to write to the drive, unless it used sectors of my HDD for a swap file (I don't use a swap partition for Mint16)... but in theory any swap data would just be re-cycled and wouldn't write to the Mint file system...

Live distributions don't use the HDD for swap - they don't use the HDD for anything unless you tell it to. Either you mount the drive or you install the distribution to it, otherwise they don't touch it. Even if the HDD was used for swap by another distribution, this data gets wiped on a reboot - plus this data wouldn't somehow alter Mint's package database.

Would there have been ANY KDE support pkgs installed with Mint 16? If not, I could delete them through Synaptc Pkgs Mgr.

I don't have any, but there is a good reason you have them. To find out, type "KDE" into Synaptic's search function and search installed packages. You can do this by sorting the packages based on installed/uninstalled status in the checkboxes to the left of the package names. Just click on the sort box at the top and installed packages with green filled checkboxes will come to the top. Attached is a screenshot, with the pointer over the sort box.

Synaptic.png

Or should I just shutup and install these 52 updates?

Synaptic/apt-get is telling you that you should. If you decide not to do this, you should at least find out why it's suggesting these packages.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby asciiman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 pm

Fraoch wrote:Synaptic/apt-get is telling you that you should. If you decide not to do this, you should at least find out why it's suggesting these packages.

Thanks Fraoch for the great help.

Yes, I explored Synaptic, searching KDE and found quite a few. Some show as installed [green box], others show an exclamation point [!] in the box. I am not sure I understand this latter symbol. Also the gold star... what does that mean? Your response above was confirmation that I was on the right path, thanks very much.

So then, will Synamptic tell me what applications/services these pkgs are supporting?
asciiman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fraoch on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:00 pm

asciiman wrote:Thanks Fraoch for the great help.

You're welcome!

Yes, I explored Synaptic, searching KDE and found quite a few. Some show as installed [green box], others show an exclamation point [!] in the box. I am not sure I understand this latter symbol.

These are packages with upgrades. They're the 52 packages you indicate apt-get wants to upgrade. You can confirm this by sorting by Status (click on the "Status" box), then selecting "Installed (upgradeable)".

Also the gold star... what does that mean?

I believe these are core packages installed by default. Removing them may remove other core packages and badly break your installation.

So then, will Synamptic tell me what applications/services these pkgs are supporting?

Kind of - you have to do some detective work by looking in the descriptions. Take a look at the screenshot I posted, those packages are for a standard Cinnamon install with no KDE dependencies. What ones do you have in addition to this? Do their descriptions indicate they merely interact or interface with KDE or do they indicate they're a KDE program?

You can also find dependencies by selecting a package, then in the Synaptic menu - Package - Properties - Dependencies tab. One of your installed programs has KDE dependencies.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby asciiman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:22 pm

OK... you gave me some good info there... knowledge is power!

I went through the list as you did and found that most of the pkgs that Update Mgr wants to install are graced with the yellow stars... so does this suggest that they are as you said, core pkgs that probably should be updated? Note that they mostly came from the Ubuntu Saucy repository.

asciiman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fraoch on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Interesting - those packages that have a yellow star for you have the same yellow star for me yet are not installed. Which means my supposition of them being core packages installed by default is probably incorrect.

I've reached the limit of my novice knowledge here. At this point I'd say just install them. All they do is take up extra disk space, when they're not being used they don't take up memory or CPU or anything.

lib packages just consist of low-level data that other programs depend on. lib packages are usually not executable, so they wouldn't consume memory or CPU even if they tried.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby asciiman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Yes, I agree. Probably harmless to install them. I have to confess that I am probably obsessive about keeping the system unbloated. In most cases shown, there is already a .lib file and MintUpdate just wants to sync with the Saucy repository. So it would seem that:

1) these pkgs were part of the original Mint16 install for application support or development

and/or...

2) I somehow installed a KDE application that brought with it some dependencies

Keep in mind, this is a very fresh install of Mint16. Maybe 2 weeks old. I may have installed 3 programs max. All of which I deleted. I did install Wine and it seemed to bring over a lot of junk. I didn't like it at all and un-installed it, though it took me some sleuthing to purge the system of all the dependencies I could find. Maybe I missed some?

At any rate, maybe this conversation will be of some use to others.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this.

asciiman
asciiman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fraoch on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:48 pm

asciiman wrote:Yes, I agree. Probably harmless to install them. I have to confess that I am probably obsessive about keeping the system unbloated. In most cases shown, there is already a .lib file and MintUpdate just wants to sync with the Saucy repository. So it would seem that:

1) these pkgs were part of the original Mint16 install for application support or development

and/or...

2) I somehow installed a KDE application that brought with it some dependencies

Keep in mind, this is a very fresh install of Mint16. Maybe 2 weeks old. I may have installed 3 programs max. All of which I deleted. I did install Wine and it seemed to bring over a lot of junk. I didn't like it at all and un-installed it, though it took me some sleuthing to purge the system of all the dependencies I could find. Maybe I missed some?

Synaptic/apt-get can manage this. When you uninstall something, it does not uninstall the dependencies automatically. apt-get will suggest and mark them though. To remove all dependencies that are no longer needed, use autoremove. In apt-get it's just:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get autoremove

and in Synaptic you can see it listed when you list packages by status, I believe there will be an "autoremove" or "autoremoveable" section. I don't have any at the moment, so I can't quite remember.

Removing dependencies this way should be safe - apt-get checks to see that there are no installed packages left which have these programs listed as dependencies.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby asciiman on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:05 pm

DING DING DING!!!

We have a winner! :)

I ran the sudo autoremove and it eliminated 134 items.

Now when I run Update Mgr, I get a total of 9 items, none of which appear to be KDE related.

Fraoch, you are the MAN!

Thanks for the schooling! Hope our convo will help others here.

asciiman
asciiman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fraoch on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 pm

You're welcome! Glad it solved your issue.

apt-get is an example of smart, advanced package management. You don't get this in Windows.
Fraoch
Level 4
Level 4

Postby DeMus on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:17 pm

For those who are interested in what the icons represent: have a look in Synaptic > Help > Icon Legend.
You see the attached image.
Attachments
Icons.png
No more Windows and Gates since Ubuntu 8.04, used 9.04, 10.04, then switched to Kubuntu because of Unity and Gnome 3.
After that it is Mint, used 9 till 17 all in KDE version and loving it.
DeMus
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications