MintUpdate - Update Manager, behavior

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

MintUpdate - Update Manager, behavior

Postby ggallozz on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:44 am

I'd thinking "Why is the mintupdate icon on the panel is showing me the [i] state and when I launch it, it says it need to download package information?"

I mean, if it shows the [i] state, it should had already downloaded packages tu be updated infos, isn't more logical?

my config:
Kernel: 3.8.0-34-generic i686 (32 bit)
Desktop: MATE
Distro: Linux Mint 15 Olivia
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: swearing removed
ggallozz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MintUpdate - Update Manager, behavior

Postby xenopeek on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:00 am

Between the time that mintUpdate has last done its check, and you click the icon to install the updates, further updates may have become available. If mintUpdate wouldn't first refresh the list of packages, it could possibly attempt to install outdated versions of packages. Far fetched perhaps with the default configuration (15 minute refresh time), but its done to avoid errors you wouldn't understand (given your question).
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ggallozz on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:14 am

thank xenopeek, I understand, but exactly for what you (updated info to show) say, but isn't better that when one clicks on mintupdate icon, it rise up a window with the package infos, those ones be already updated without asking for it?
this is my thought ...
ggallozz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:42 am

No, applying upgrades without intervention is not a good idea. Best to review the upgrades before applying them. If you want to do that though, sure go ahead. Internet search for "unattended-upgrades" should point you in the way for how to set up so that security (or all) upgrades are applied without your intervention or option to review.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Mal_Hil on Thu May 22, 2014 6:20 am

I fully understand why update behaves this way, but given that LM seems to be appealing to disgruntled W% XP users, and that that normally does updates automatically in the background, would it not be better if LM does this by default, with perhaps an option to do it the existing way during the installation process.

I read on this forum of many experienced Linux users helping friends and family set up LM to replace W%XP. I have helped many people set up W% and always set it to do updates automatically because I know the user wont do it readily.

I've been using LM now for a few weeks, and am very impressed with it - I've even resurected an older laptop and now use it with LM in prefereance to the newer laptop with Win8.1 on - only using that if absolutely necessary. So many thanks to everyone at LM and all the supporters
Mal
Mal - in UK
Linux Mint 17 - 64 - with Cinnamon - HP G61-415SA Notebook, 2.1 GHz Intel Pentium Processor T4300, 4 GB DDR2 memory, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M, Broadcom BCM4312 wifi
Mal_Hil
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications