My Mint 64

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

My Mint 64

Postby ossified65 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:43 pm

I thought I'd let you know how I (a new linux user) has tweaked my 64 bit mint. I prefer the xfce interface, so I installed all the xfce stuff from synaptic, then Merlwiz posted a few .debs for me to add in some Mint apps like Mint desktop. I also added wbar, a lightweight dock to the bottom of my dektop. I tried AWN and Cairo, and both worked, but Wbar lets me use my own icons, which I think are nicer than the stock ones the other two force you to use. I installed Virtualbox OSE from the mint software portal and made a virtual drive with Windows XP on it, just in case I need it for anything. Oh, then I'd had it with Networkmanger's poor attempts to deal with my WEP encryption, so I removed it and added wicd. Changed my windows management to aqua, my theme to H2O saphire and my desktop to the lovely blue spotlight wallpaper. Oh and I also switched my icons to Exquiste, which are even more beautiful than the Ubuntustudio set. This is all on a X61 Thinkpad with 4G RAM. Everything is fast and clean looking. I have never been more happy with an OS than this. I sincerely hope I don't have to do a clean install when this comes out of beta, I don't want to spend the time getting everything just right again.

Thanks!
Bryan
ossified65
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: My Mint 64

Postby exploder on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:23 pm

Sounds like you have been busy! You should not have to reinstall when the 64 bit final release comes out. I would like to see a screenshot of how you have things set up, it sound really nice. Enjoy your new OS!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby ossified65 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:47 pm

Hmm, not sure how to embed the images. Do I upload them and then link them?
ossified65
Level 2
Level 2

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:23 am

ossified65 wrote:Hmm, not sure how to embed the images. Do I upload them and then link them?

That would work but it depends on the site.
You could paste the link to the image.
Then select highlight the link and press the Img button.
You should see [img]THE.LINK.TO.THE.IMAGE[/img] before you press submit.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby sarahmarienc on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:02 am

Sounds really nice. Makes me want to try the 64 bit version but I'm not sure about doing it because I don't know how to partition my hard drive. I have an HP M8100n with 3 GB Ram, 500 GB Harddrive, AMD 64 bit dual core processor 5600+. My system is expandable up to 8 GB (not that I'd ever need that much, but I liked the fact that I could add on to it) and has plenty of room for any changes I might want made to it internally. I've taken the cover off to install networking card and it's very clean looking inside. Not all jumbled up like my old pc. Anyway, I guess if I want to play around with it I'll have to search on the board about partitioning your hard drive.

Sounds like you've been having fun with yours. How do you like it? Agreeing here about posting a picture/link of your desktop set up.
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"
sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ossified65 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:08 am

I changed my wallpaper, but here are a few shots. I'm a grad student working on my diss, so I need a clean looking desktop to help keep my brain uncluttered :wink: I've said it before in other posts, but the combination of the 64-bit OS and the xfce desktop is so snappy and responsive its kinda silly, I just love it. Also, I do have a panel at the bottom with window switcher, clock, menu button, and sensors applet installed, but I let it autohide unless I need it.
Attachments
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (157.15 KiB) Viewed 2120 times
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (122.27 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
ossified65
Level 2
Level 2

Postby sarahmarienc on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm a girl, so I mean this as a compliment.. your desktop is beautiful, like a work of art. How do you people come up with such nice layouts and where can I get one. Haha!
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"
sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby exploder on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:14 pm

That is a really great looking desktop. Nice and clean with style! Thanks for posting the screenshots!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions