In the future...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: In the future...

Postby Eddie G. Wilson on Thu May 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Good Day All,

I also am looking forward to the 64 bit version of Mint 7. I do some video work and also quite a bit of audio work. I couldn't get the processing power I needed with 32 bit.(I have tried with Mint) Also I did not find the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 9.04 to be any less stable than the 32 bit version. I would rather run Mint but at this time I need the extra power. When the 64 bit version is released I will install it. There is no good reason 64 bit should be any less stable than 32 bit.

@ everyone, wierdo124 was out of line with his rude comment that was made out of retaliation but lakehousetech threw the first stone with his first rude unedited post. Furthermore this is the mint64 section is it not? Wierdo124's first comment was just a simple statement and did not deserve the answer he got. People who think that this subject doesn't need to be talked about, or that it has been beat to death, and are tired of hearing about 64 bit versions don't really need to be in this section.

Have a Nice Day, :)
Eddie
Linux Registered User #490719
User avatar
Eddie G. Wilson
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Galax, Virginia

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: In the future...

Postby FedoraRefugee on Thu May 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Eddie G. Wilson wrote:Good Day All,

I also am looking forward to the 64 bit version of Mint 7. I do some video work and also quite a bit of audio work. I couldn't get the processing power I needed with 32 bit.(I have tried with Mint) Also I did not find the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 9.04 to be any less stable than the 32 bit version. I would rather run Mint but at this time I need the extra power. When the 64 bit version is released I will install it. There is no good reason 64 bit should be any less stable than 32 bit.

@ everyone, wierdo124 was out of line with his rude comment that was made out of retaliation but lakehousetech threw the first stone with his first rude unedited post. Furthermore this is the mint64 section is it not? Wierdo124's first comment was just a simple statement and did not deserve the answer he got. People who think that this subject doesn't need to be talked about, or that it has been beat to death, and are tired of hearing about 64 bit versions don't really need to be in this section.

Have a Nice Day, :)
Eddie


Good point, which is why I did not comment. But I always thought one "poured" bodily waste fluids out of boots, not "poor" them. :)

Word to the wise, when one uses terms like "retarded," "dumb," or "stupid" in reference to others they should triple check their grammar and spelling!!! :lol:
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

Re: In the future...

Postby Eddie G. Wilson on Thu May 21, 2009 5:00 pm

FedoraRefugee wrote:
Eddie G. Wilson wrote:Good Day All,

I also am looking forward to the 64 bit version of Mint 7. I do some video work and also quite a bit of audio work. I couldn't get the processing power I needed with 32 bit.(I have tried with Mint) Also I did not find the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 9.04 to be any less stable than the 32 bit version. I would rather run Mint but at this time I need the extra power. When the 64 bit version is released I will install it. There is no good reason 64 bit should be any less stable than 32 bit.

@ everyone, wierdo124 was out of line with his rude comment that was made out of retaliation but lakehousetech threw the first stone with his first rude unedited post. Furthermore this is the mint64 section is it not? Wierdo124's first comment was just a simple statement and did not deserve the answer he got. People who think that this subject doesn't need to be talked about, or that it has been beat to death, and are tired of hearing about 64 bit versions don't really need to be in this section.

Have a Nice Day, :)
Eddie


Good point, which is why I did not comment. But I always thought one "poured" bodily waste fluids out of boots, not "poor" them. :)

Word to the wise, when one uses terms like "retarded," "dumb," or "stupid" in reference to others they should triple check their grammar and spelling!!! :lol:


LMAO :lol: You got it right! :mrgreen:
Linux Registered User #490719
User avatar
Eddie G. Wilson
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Galax, Virginia

Re: In the future...

Postby lakehousetech on Sun May 24, 2009 8:34 am

Eddie G. Wilson wrote:Good Day All,

I do some video work and also quite a bit of audio work. I couldn't get the processing power I needed with 32 bit.(I have tried with Mint) Also I did not find the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 9.04 to be any less stable than the 32 bit version. I would rather run Mint but at this time I need the extra power. When the 64 bit version is released I will install it. There is no good reason 64 bit should be any less stable than 32 bit.

@ everyone, wierdo124 was out of line with his rude comment that was made out of retaliation but lakehousetech threw the first stone with his first rude unedited post. Furthermore this is the mint64 section is it not? Wierdo124's first comment was just a simple statement and did not deserve the answer he got. People who think that this subject doesn't need to be talked about, or that it has been beat to death, and are tired of hearing about 64 bit versions don't really need to be in this section.

Have a Nice Day, :)
Eddie


Are your video and audio applications 64 bit? OS won't make a difference in performance if your applications don't support the register size. Did you read this entire thread?
Wherever you go, there you are... - Buckaroo Banzai
http://www.lakehousetech.com
- Mint Debian
User avatar
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:34 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: In the future...

Postby Eddie G. Wilson on Wed May 27, 2009 11:56 am

Yes they are and yes I did from the very beginning. Why do you ask? If I couldn't use 64 bit apps then I couldn't get the performance I need out of Linux and I would have to go another route. I'm not going to argue about what software I need to get done what I need to do. That's not up for debate. Maybe this is what I should do; Use LinuxMint 7 32 bit for play time and use Ubuntu Studio for my serious work. I could use a real time kernel also along with the 64 bit apps. and come to think of it I don't believe I could get a real time kernel even with the the 64 bit version of LinuxMint 7 so I guess my choice is limited.
Linux Registered User #490719
User avatar
Eddie G. Wilson
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Galax, Virginia

Re: In the future...

Postby FedoraRefugee on Wed May 27, 2009 1:49 pm

As Mint is just Ubuntu anyway that sounds like a great plan! Why not use a distro that has done all the work for you for your needs?
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:25 am

Re: In the future...

Postby Eddie G. Wilson on Fri May 29, 2009 8:00 am

FedoraRefugee wrote:As Mint is just Ubuntu anyway that sounds like a great plan! Why not use a distro that has done all the work for you for your needs?


Very true. I guess I was creating a problem when one didn't exist. Well it looks like it may be a fun weekend after all.
Thanks to everybody for their comments.

Eddie
Linux Registered User #490719
User avatar
Eddie G. Wilson
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:46 pm
Location: Galax, Virginia

Re: In the future...

Postby Ale on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:52 am

In the future NO Linux Mint 8 32 bit please, old computers can use Linux Mint 7 32 bit
Ale
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Re: In the future...

Postby lagagnon on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:08 am

Ale wrote:In the future NO Linux Mint 8 32 bit please, old computers can use Linux Mint 7 32 bit


So just because you happen to have a 64 bit machine many other users are to get dumped off the side? Nice guy.
User avatar
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm
Location: an island in the Pacific...

Re: In the future...

Postby McLovin on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Ale wrote:In the future NO Linux Mint 8 32 bit please, old computers can use Linux Mint 7 32 bit

That will never happen, EVER! There are too many people that use 32bit still, including some us devs, and the community editions are 32bit, so there will never be a complete drop of Mint 32bit, it will be the main edition for a long time to come. The main edition may go to 64 bit sometime in the future, not anytime soon.
User avatar
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Re: In the future...

Postby exploder on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:22 pm

McLovin, I couldn't have said it any better myself! :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5917
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:50 am
Location: HartfordCity, Indiana USA

Re: In the future...

Postby DrHu on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:08 pm

wierdo124 wrote:In the future it would be nice if we got a 64 bit release BEFORE the 32 bit. This is the 21st century...almost everyone uses 64 bit if they can.
That's just not true, at the moment

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml
Even though I have been using a 64bit Linux (gentoo) since it became available with an Athlon 64 bit CPU
--long before windows OS or Apple OS-X were ready with their versions..
User avatar
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17
 
Posts: 7098
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: In the future...

Postby tsimonc on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 am

srikkanth87 wrote:64 bit is the future .... its crazy to hang with old stuff like 32 bit even after x64
x64 is more advanced and give improved performance..


True, True I fully agree with you on this. Also if you look at what windows and apple are doing 32bit will no longer be used for most computers I can still imagine netbooks being 32bit though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS: LinuxMint7_64, Vista Basic_64
CPU: Intel Q9650---OC 3.6
Mobo: XFX 780i
RAM: DDR2 Geil 8GB
Graphics: XFX GTX 275
Cooling: Water Cooling.
User avatar
tsimonc
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 pm
Location: Australia, Canberra

Re: In the future...

Postby Kaye on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:55 am

tsimonc wrote:
srikkanth87 wrote:64 bit is the future .... its crazy to hang with old stuff like 32 bit even after x64
x64 is more advanced and give improved performance..


True, True I fully agree with you on this. Also if you look at what windows and apple are doing 32bit will no longer be used for most computers I can still imagine netbooks being 32bit though.


Have either of you even read most of the posts in this thread?
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Image
User avatar
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:05 pm
Location: Boston College

Re: In the future...

Postby vrkalak on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:47 pm

I would guess, that in the not too distant future, there will only be 64-bit and whatever comes next. 32-bit will be a thing of the past.

Look how far computer technology has come in the last few years.


I remember going to a Computer Symposium, at a large University, about 20 years ago. The main speaker said, that "a home PC will never be able to hold a Gigabyte of memory, it's no physically possible." My home PC has a Terabyte of memory ... OMG!! I have a flash-drive (a thumb-drive) with 32 Gb of memory.

I am excited about where computers will go in the next few years. 32-bit will be gone or only in antique computers. Not so far away.
Image
:: Mint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Debian-Sid (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3471
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: In the future...

Postby Fred on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:13 pm

vrkalak wrote:
I would guess, that in the not too distant future, there will only be 64-bit and whatever comes next. 32-bit will be a thing of the past.

I guess it depends on your frame of reference. I would guess, that in the not too distant future, computers will be biomass, gray matter, that live in a glass jar with a fluid nutrient that you replenish every 6 months. They will be 100 times or more powerful than the human brain and require no keyboard, monitor, or other input/output devices. We will communicate with our computers with ESP.

Having said that, would you mind too much if I kept my keyboard and monitor around a little bit longer? I am a slow learner. :-)

Stay cool out there in NM.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
User avatar
Fred
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 am
Location: NC USA

Re: In the future...

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:16 pm

32bit is here to stay for foreseeable future. Many developers (including myself) have discovered that modern linux systems run plenty fast enough on their existing rigs (mine's now 3 years old), so feel no compulsion to upgrade anything more than disk-space (which is cheap). True, when I do get round to purchasing a new computing rig, I will make sure it's 64bit (easy enough given that most modern systems ship as such). However I don't anticipate doing so until my current system actually dies in like 3 years time, which is a huge length of time in the linux world.

It was said above about looking at what M$ and Apple are doing, but that is irrelevant in the linux world where the latest software versions rarely require upgraded hardware; the minimum/recommended specs stays pretty much constant because there's no reason for the extra bloat (this is also one of the reasons many releases forget to state them on the release notes).

p.s. you should be careful with the difference between a technical usage of "memory" (RAM) and an everyday user's one (either RAM or disk space). True, the original prediction is still false, since you can easily get 16GB memory on a 64bit system (though at this stage the hardware is ahead of the software's utilisation) Your home PC will not have a TB of memory, and your flash drive has no memory at all.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: In the future...

Postby vrkalak on Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Fred: the not too distant future ... you know like 10-20 years. Not into the next millinia. :lol:

Look how far technology has come in the last 20 years.
I will be interesting to see, that's all.
Image
:: Mint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Debian-Sid (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3471
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: In the future...

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:32 pm

ok, that's fine , I might even guess 5-10 years. I was interpreting "the not-too-distant-future" as 3 years or less (which is a long time in linux) but a decade is enough to see whole paradigm shifts, just compare 1999 to 2009 (especially the web), and the progress is still getting faster.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:58 pm

Re: In the future...

Postby Fred on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:41 pm

emorrp1,

Time is an infinite, hard to define, commodity. In my case, I am 71. I would be over joyed to think that I have 10 more good years. The future is in your hands my friend, not mine. Make it what you will. Just be careful what you wish for. You might get it. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
User avatar
Fred
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 am
Location: NC USA

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajgreeny, Bing [Bot], ChristofferHN and 29 guests