Mint 8 x64 - freezing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint 8 x64 - freezing

Postby Nicekiwi9 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:23 am

I've fresh installed Mint 8 x64 on my laptop and it worked ok for awhile but has started freezing for no particular reason I can see, there was another thread here for the same kinda of problem but for Mint 7 x64 and most of the answers seemed to be mint 7 related.

It happens a lot like in the above mentioned thread such as last in the middle of a full screen movie, during music playback and freezes with sound looping forever, the CPU/RAM usage is not high at the time or when nothing at all is running, I haven't checked the system logs as I'm not sure where they are?

Any ideas on how I can fix/diagnose this problem? :?

Lappy is a Dell Vostro 1050 with Clean install, no Dual booting or anything.
Nicekiwi9
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 8 x64 - freezing

Postby exploder on Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:51 pm

If you are using desktop effects, try turning them off during multimedia playback, the screen saver might be causing this too.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Return to Newbie Questions