I need help getting myself a 64-bit Mint with Fluxbox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I need help getting myself a 64-bit Mint with Fluxbox

Postby O8h7w on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:17 pm

I think I have the goal in sight, now how do I get there? As told in previous thread, I will use this install to run a single somewhat heavy app on my slightly too old and weak laptop. In spite of the purpose, a web browser (Opera) and a music player will probably be running a lot of the time. To get the most out of the hardware I figure I want the combination of a 64-bit system and a light window manager.

What is the best starting point? My guess is the CD version of Mint 11. But it might be easier to start from the DVD version and strip away what I don't need rather than trying to add what I do need? Or maybe I should start with a clean Ubuntu install, then add Fluxbox, then Mintify that?

What do I need to add, and what should I remove? Any preferred order on this? (I can find the fluxbox package and my applications on my own, but I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few things here. And I don't really have a clue about what is safe to delete.)

Or am I already completely off the mark? Maybe even posting in the wrong place with this? Maybe, just maybe, asking too much questions?

The help I've received this far, and the help I hope to get on this subject, is greatly appreciated :)
Thoughts that fled from the head of O8h7w - be warned, they might cause thoughts in YOUR head
O8h7w
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I need help getting myself a 64-bit Mint with Fluxbox

Postby jeffreyC on Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:16 pm

It is usually easier to add what you want than remove what you do not
I mostly use Synaptic to remove packages as it tells you what else will be removed (if any) before you commit and is easy to back out of.
You might also consider the LTS (Isadora) version of the Xfce release it was Ubuntu based and available in 64 bit.
Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0
jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions