Add/remove nautilus/nemo to/from startup applications

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Add/remove nautilus/nemo to/from startup applications

Postby Zorba on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 pm

If you ever face an issue with your desktop icons not showing up after you installed Cinnamon on Linux Mint Mate edition, that's most probably because nemo and nautilus are competing over desktop control. To solve this you have to disable nautilus from startup if you want to use Cinnamon or nemo nemo if you want to use Mate. Both of them are hidden from startup applications and to make them show up in the startup apps run :

for nemo:

Code: Select all
sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/nemo-autostart.desktop

for nautilus:

Code: Select all
sudo sed -i 's/NoDisplay=true/NoDisplay=false/g' /etc/xdg/autostart/nautilus-autostart.desktop
and then launch Startup Applications and uncheck the one you don't need at startup.

That's it guys good luck :D
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Add/remove nautilus/nemo to/from startup applications

Postby Zorba on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:44 am

Can you remove nautilus once for all???
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Add/remove nautilus/nemo to/from startup applications

Postby clfarron4 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Brahim wrote:Can you remove nautilus once for all???

If you are using Cinnamon 1.8 or earlier, no, since those versions of Cinnamon depend on GNOME. If you are using Cinnamon 2.0 or later, yes, because Cinnamon 2 is in practice independent of GNOME (actually, you can remove the gnome-session and all of it's dependencies if you don't want to load any of the GNOME session at all).

Just one thing: Aren't gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-fallback-mount-helper, nautilus, gnome-screensaver, nautilus-autostart and caja already blacklisted from auto-starting in Cinnamon anyways, as found in org.cinnamon.SessionManager in dconf?
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Tutorials / Howtos