This is for creating a bootable USB flash memory drive that will run the Linux Mint Live System and Installer. This will work on Linux Mint 13 or higher or any Isolinux/Linux hybrid ISO.
This will destroy any data on the drive, and it will temporarily not be usable as a mass storage device, you have been warned!
This is the same as the dd method, but uses software under Windows. The write to the device takes only a few minutes.
The boot from the device seems to be doing nothing for a few minutes, but I assure you it is. Just give it a few minutes and the desktop will show up.
I tried to post this on community.linuxmint.com, but something went wrong and it failed. I will work to correct this, in the meanwhile, here is a static PDF of my work;
Here are the missing urls for the footnotes (1-6 resp.);
1. About PC boot devices. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booting#Boot_devices_.28IBM_PC.29
2. About the ISO 9660 file system format http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iso9660
3. Hybrid Linux ISO/IMG Format http://wiki.geteasypeasy.com/Hybrid_ISO/IMG_format
4. Clem's Tutorial showing how to do this under Linux http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744
5. USB Flash Drive information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_flash_drive
6. Linux Mint Main Edition Download Page http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
7. The MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5
Licenses for the Freeware Software
RMPrep License - http://www.rmprepusb.com/home/licensing
HashMyFiles License - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html
QEMU - http://wiki.qemu.org/License