Safari, Ubuntu and a Void EULA

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Safari, Ubuntu and a Void EULA

Postby finux on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:40 am

Hi Guys,

I'm sure someone's posted about this, but i thought i's make it available here too. How to get Safari working in Linux Mint 4. I'm not sure if it will be any good to you guys but if someone does find a use for it then i'll be glad.

Installing Safari under Ubuntu with Wine

Well guys i thought that i would post this for any of you that maybe developing web sites or heaven forbid your thinking firefox is too slow for you.

This is somewhat borrowed from this web site http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/03 ... -with.html

Who am i kidding it's all borrowed from this how to guide.

From what i can gather is basically your not making a Mac program work on Linux your making a Windows Program work under Linux, which in fairness is nothing new and exciting.

So if you don't have a copy of Wine installed, and a copy of the msttcorefonts then you will need to open up a command line terminal and place the following code in there.

sudo aptitude install msttcorefonts wine

You may need to make sure that your install of Wine is configured as XP, you can load the configure option by placing this following code into the command line terminal

winecfg

and choosing Windows XP in the Windows Version, in the GUI window that pops up

Then you need to copy some font's across so it will look all nice and pretty when you use it, by placing these following code into the command line terminal

cp /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial*.ttf ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/

and

cp /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Times_New_Roman*.ttf ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/

and then we need to download a copy of safari, now you can either down load it from this web site http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

or you can place the following code into a command line terminal

wget http://ubuntu-debs.googlecode.com/files/SafariSetup.exe

and then place this code into a command line terminal

wine SafariSetup.exe

if you've not used the above wget command then you need to cd into where ever you've downloaded it in a terminal, and place the above code into the command line terminal

When the install starts you need to make sure that you uncheck both

”Install Bonjour for Windows” and “Automatically update Safari and other Apple Software.” and you will need to accept the license too, then start the installation.

Now you need to install the flash for it too, place the following code into a command line terminal

wget http://ubuntu-debs.googlecode.com/files ... player.exe

and then place the following code into the command line terminal

wine install_flash_player.exe

Now Safari is installed and should be found under Applications > Wine > Programs > Safari

Now for the final step let's install Shockwave as well, place the following code into the command line terminal

wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/sh ... r_Full.exe

or visit this site and download either the slim line or full version for Windows XP http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/#sp

now place the following code into the a command line terminal

wine Shockwave_Installer_Full.exe

Once you've done that you then will need to copy the shockwave files into your Safari install plug in folder, place this code into your command line terminal

cp -R ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/Adobe/Director/* ~/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/Safari/Plugins

You can check it's worked by loading up Safari and going to Help > Installed Plug-ins

I thought this may interest some and could be helpful for some web developers. When you think that now you can have Firefox, ie4linux, Safari, Opera you covered most popular browsers. I'm not sure if it's me but i'm sure it's a wee bit faster than firefox too.

// side note after writing this guide.

After speaking to a few people after the recent Linux Society meeting i was told about Safari Windows install in most cases invalidates it's own EULA, it's only suppose to be used on Apple labelled machine, also if your running safari under your your Windows XP installation it's also worth paying attention to this http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?si ... /27/129236

Long live the tux

Finux can be found at

http://www.thelinuxsociety.org.uk

http://www.twitter.com/f1nux

irc freenode #linuxbasement
finux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Safari, Ubuntu and a Void EULA

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:55 am

finux wrote:After speaking to a few people after the recent Linux Society meeting i was told about Safari Windows install in most cases invalidates it's own EULA, it's only suppose to be used on Apple labelled machine

This was a line from the EULA that was incorrectly never changed for the Windows version. It was corrected as soon as it was brought to light in the blogosphere.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby finux on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:04 am

Cheers dude for the fast response much appreciated, i thought that they get it sorted seemed a wee bit daft as they made the version available to windows users who more than likely didn't have an apple labelled system
finux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BAD on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:30 am

Putting Safari on my computer might help you hack it easier. As I see it free Widows software is full of spy ware and Mac stuff is not secure. This is just my opinion though. Note most Windows based free Software wants to have internet access, just what is it sending to its home website that a firewall isn't stopping because you allow it. Funny you post this after the Apple Mac got cracked in the CanSec West conference through a weakness in Safari. Makes me want to put Safari on my computer right now.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Postby finux on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:16 am

BAD wrote:Putting Safari on my computer might help you hack it easier. As I see it free Widows software is full of spy ware and Mac stuff is not secure. This is just my opinion though. Note most Windows based free Software wants to have internet access, just what is it sending to its home website that a firewall isn't stopping because you allow it. Funny you post this after the Apple Mac got cracked in the CanSec West conference through a weakness in Safari. Makes me want to put Safari on my computer right now.

Well dude as you can see it's running under WINE which solves a fair bit of the hacking issue, as well as me also posting a link describing the security issue if it is installed on your Windows Machine. As with regards to the me posting when the Air Mac got hacked, well firstly it was Mac not a Windows Machine that got hacked, and i posted in series of guides this morning, plus i've left how you could get a hold of me if there where any issues.

I doubt very much putting Safari under WINE will lead to your linux system getting hacked, plus this is a lot more secure for now than using a VMware to run it with shared folders. (recent security vulnerability in vmware should be quite easy for you to find with a google) Like i say it maybe of interest to web developers, who want to test sites against different browsers, such as Safari, IE4Linux, Opera, Firefox which is all possible under Linux and the reason it's has been and will continue to be a developers platform. I'm hoping that this doesn't turn into a flame

// after writing this response i also came across this slashdot article that maybe of some interest to you BAD, http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0 ... 8&from=rss it just basically says that the Mac, Vista got hacked but the Ubuntu laptop was left unhacked. So i suppose it beg's the question if they could use the Mac Exploit to hack the Mac, and from what you've said i'm presuming your saying in your above comment that the recent exploit's in Mac could lead to your mint (ubuntu derivative i know i'm stating obvious) being hacked then why did they not do that with the Ubuntu laptop at the recent CanSecWest? Or come to think of it any of the exploits in software being ran through WINE, i'm not really after an answer, just pointing it out.

I'm not meaning to fuel any flames it just was a bit of a shock to post a howto guide and be accused of trying to hack people, so maybe i'm just being a wee bit defensive

Finux
finux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BAD on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:08 pm

Since no one else is saying anything on this post.

RE: Finux you said WINE solves a fair bit of the hacking issue
Since WINE solves the hacking issues everything should be run through Wine or a wine clone.

The issue is why support proprietary closed source software. Why not spend your time working on open source projects.
We are the LinuxMint. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
BAD
Level 3
Level 3

Postby finux on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:47 pm

BAD wrote:Since no one else is saying anything on this post.

RE: Finux you said WINE solves a fair bit of the hacking issue
Since WINE solves the hacking issues everything should be run through Wine or a wine clone.

The issue is why support proprietary closed source software. Why not spend your time working on open source projects.

Dude i do spend my time working in the open source arena, i posted a guide for the community benefit. I'm also help run a local Linux Community of about 70-80 active members who meet once every two weeks, i make sure that they have new talks from differing subjects.

Not being funny dude, but it just seems your not happy with whatever i say. So far you've accused me of trying to hack you, now i your accusing me of supporting proprietary software, which you made no reference to in your last post. It's a user tip, if it's of no use to you then please by all means don't use it. You in my mind made some very serious critique of free software on windows without any shown grounding. I agree proprietary software is an issue, but the reality of it until RMS has his way is still here, i have personally spoken to RMS about this issue in academia, after a series of talks a did promoting GPL alternative at the universoty i'm at. Making sweeping statements is not good for the community and in fighting shows the outside world that we are not capable of competing in the world wide software arena. Which leaves me with an heavy heart, it makes it harder for me to explain why FLOSS is a better alternative, due to quality. Do you no think we as a Linux community are at a point where we can argue quality rather than monopoly

I'm quite looking forward to our next linux meeting where i tell the members that i'm supporting proprietary software, they know me well enough to know that's not the case. Try to look at it as a showcase of how windows software can be liberated from it's non developers platform and moved to an open source arena, i'm presumming that my use of an Intel wifi card and graphics card would also be seen as promoting proprietary, or the use of Skype, or the use of firefox, all though the source code is free, the logo's arn't (reason it's iceweasel in debain), or the use of media some media codecs, i have to be honest i've played an mp3 in the past week, watched any dvd's lately on your Linux install?

This without doubt is going to be the last time i post any howto guides here, i would rather spend my time working with people than against them.

I thank you for your critique all though i feel it has been somewhat lacking in constructiveness and i wish you all the best in your Linux journey. If you wish to discuss this in further detail you can catch me in IRC it's in my profile, or you can visit our site it's also in my profile. Failing that laters and have fun using FLOSS
finux
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:40 am

Guys.. there's no need to get personal against each others. I'm locking this thread so the argument doesn't go on.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Tutorials / Howtos