sudo apt-get install winbind

2. install gadmin-samba
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gadmin-samba
or use the software manager

this is what u wanna edit to ur needs
under the tab servers host name
1. the servers host name = what ever name u want
2. allowed hosts & networks = this shoud be ur ip range with subnet EG. 10.42.0.1/8
3. handle connections on = this shoud be ur ip EG. 10.42.0.1
4. announce this server to = ur broadcast ip EG. 10.42.0.255
5. retrieve announcements fro - ur broadcast ip EG. 10.42.0.255

& dont change enything els .. default is good for most of us uless u r configuring samba s a domain

and click apply

& to add users
under users tab
1.click new user
2.give a user name
3. give a password ( must b 6 digits )
4. give group
Note if the user allready exist on the system dont need to give group, home, & shell
if its a new user group=nobody, home & shell=/dev/null
and click apply

to share folders
under shares tab
1. new share
2.shared directory(u can brows using shared directory button)
3 share name

other options as u like and click add
if u want to edit a share .. just select the share & edit what ever u want & click apply

when all is done
sudo service smbd restart

try to log in from a windows PC or a linux PC & if u cant log in usin server name add the server name to /etc/hosts file

pictures of my configuration is given bellow

1.png
1.png (144.45 KiB) Viewed 3972 times

2.png
2.png (89.64 KiB) Viewed 3972 times

3.png
3.png (111 KiB) Viewed 3972 times
reptilezone2002
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to configure samba with gadmin-samba

Postby altair4 on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:20 pm

I think it's rude to interfere with someone else's HowTo but I'd just like to offer the following precaution:

Prior to it's use I would suggest making a backup copy of your current smb.conf:
sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak

gadmin-samba makes it's own backup but I don't trust it.

You can always remove winbind and restore the backup to bring yourself back to the factory settings. And if it's too late for that there's a Samba default smb.conf that can be copied to /etc/samba here: /usr/share/samba/smb.conf . It needs a little work with "encrypt passwords" but it's workable.

One more note: Gadmin-samba disables the option to create a guest accessible share using "Sharing Options" in Nautilus because gadmin-samba was created before Samba created Usershares back in 2003 or 2004. It also disables the current way a Windows client can access a guest share anonymously. These can be fixed but that's another topic.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Re: how to configure samba with gadmin-samba

Postby reptilezone2002 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:45 am

altair4 wrote:I think it's rude to interfere with someone else's HowTo but I'd just like to offer the following precaution:

Prior to it's use I would suggest making a backup copy of your current smb.conf:
sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak

gadmin-samba makes it's own backup but I don't trust it.

You can always remove winbind and restore the backup to bring yourself back to the factory settings. And if it's too late for that there's a Samba default smb.conf that can be copied to /etc/samba here: /usr/share/samba/smb.conf . It needs a little work with "encrypt passwords" but it's workable.

One more note: Gadmin-samba disables the option to create a guest accessible share using "Sharing Options" in Nautilus because gadmin-samba was created before Samba created Usershares back in 2003 or 2004. It also disables the current way a Windows client can access a guest share anonymously. These can be fixed but that's another topic.

yes i forgot to mention about the backup.. tx for reminding me & u all r free to modyfi or add to this howto.. thats Opensource - free & open ha :D
reptilezone2002
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Tutorials