internet radio

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

internet radio

Postby twodogs on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:30 pm

how do I record internet radio? I listen to trance, A State of Trance, using Shoutcast with Exaile. I want to record it (preferably mp3) so i can listen on my ipod.

Does anyone know how to do this? I searched and found nothing and not much on google either.
thanks for your help.

Dave.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: internet radio

Postby Husse on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:49 pm

This is taken from memory - it's close to impossible to do that, but luckily there are apps to do it for you
Googling
record web radio linux
gives some useful hits such as this one
http://www.linux.com/articles/27840
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby newW2 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:38 am

Exaile has a streamripper plugin as well. It requires the command line version of streamripper to be installed. I used it once - it worked.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby snuzr on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:27 pm

I install streamtuner which has shoutcast stations on it. If they aren't categorized, then just search for "trance", "chill", "ambient", etc. Install streamripper. Right click and hit record. You can record multiple channels at once. Be aware if you cannot launch your external player of choice, it must be done by choosing preferences and inserting your external player. I use audacious. On Hardy Ubuntu this is necessary as XMMS is out. On Gutsy which D is built on it seems audacious also works as well as should totem. The music is stored on your user name folder. But be advised, this is day one for mint for me. I have been having probs with hardy and decided to switch.
snuzr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:46 pm

snuzr,
Welcome to Linux Mint! We are happy to have you and look forward to more contributions like this one.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Ede on Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:42 am

You can also record every sound that's outputted from your computer with i.e Audacity. However, I'm not entirely sure how/when/where it works since I've seen computers that can't record it entirely. My guess would be the soundcard or something. But both my computers can record outputted sound with audacity. For me, I just have to change the recording-system to ALSA:default. But the quality is bleh. Don't know why.

If you're using VLC to listen to internet radio, you can just have VLC stream it to a file with the codek and all of your choice.

Open VLC, and go

File -> Open network stream

In the bottom where it says Customize, paste in the url of the stream. Then mark off 'Stream/save' and press Settings.

Mark off 'File', and write a filename and location of where you would like it to be recorded. Now, you CAN dump the raw input, but that's just a waste of space, so don't do that. Mark off 'Play locally' if you want to listen to the stream at the same time.
Choose OGG as the encapsulation method, mark off audo codec, choose vorb and your desired bitrate.

Now press 'Ok', then 'Ok' again at the previous screen. Tada.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Postby twodogs on Sat May 17, 2008 11:41 pm

thanks everyone.

lol, to answer my own post (after experimenting with exaile) this is what i did...

in synaptic, get streamripper installed.
open exaile and add streamripper in plugins.
click radio tab on the left and found some cool trance.

i even did a search for 'a state of trance' and added it as a favorite.
linux rocks!
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Tutorials / Howtos