There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Postby finux on Sat May 19, 2007 8:37 am

sweet - enjoy ;-)
finux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Sat May 19, 2007 3:08 pm

marcus0263 wrote:Lighten up Dude! I guess some just don't have a sense of humor :roll:
Ha ha ha ... I too already got into trouble like that because some people tend to totally misunderstand my sarcasm from time to time :D
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby marcus0263 on Sat May 19, 2007 6:03 pm

scorp123 wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:Lighten up Dude! I guess some just don't have a sense of humor :roll:
Ha ha ha ... I too already got into trouble like that because some people tend to totally misunderstand my sarcasm from time to time :D

Guess people don't understand Unix Geek Humor :shock:

Oh Well :roll:
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Postby scorp123 on Sat May 19, 2007 7:07 pm

marcus0263 wrote:Guess people don't understand Unix Geek Humor :shock: ..... Oh Well :roll:
I guess our tolerance levels of what we consider "harsh" and "totally unfriendly" are a good bit higher? I mean forums like this one here aren't just "black & white" (friendly or unfriendly), there are very fine nuances of grey between "making a joke not meant in earnest", "making a somewhat mean sarcastic remark", "being downright awful", "being a forum troll and deserving a kick + ban", "being a real-life total ar**hole and deserving to be struck by lightning in the balls where it really hurts" ... I guess some people don't know these nuances (yet)? Oh well ... give them time. More time in forums like this one and they will get used to it I guess? Yet another learning curve for them to master ... :D

I guess stories like this one here are the reason we get so sarcastic about Windows users, Windows converts (= "noobs + woossies" :wink: ) ....
http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20070518124020691&title=Disgruntled+Windows+User%27s+Amazing+Theory&type=article&order=&hideanonymous=0&pid=572498#c572555

Quote from there (the topic poster is talking about someone he knows ...):
Groklaw wrote:" ... A few weeks ago, deciding that his old computer was now too slow, he bought a new one, with some sort of Ultimate version of Windows Vista. I helped him set it up, but things did not go at all smoothly. He was not impressed with Vista. He ended up paying me about $120 for my time and effort (hidden costs of Vista?). Within a few weeks of using Vista, he gave up with it and returned to XP, on his old, crawling machine.

Today, he came up with an interesting theory as to why Windows gets slower and slower with time: it's so that people will end up buying new computers with new versions of Windows. ...."

Yeah, right. :D :roll: :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Broadband Internet

Postby LinuxMint.ca on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:22 am

Hallo:
I preformed the modification described herein, and I think it speeds things up somewhat; maybe giving a more solid connection.

However, I note that it slows the boot-up time, to reach a working desktop, in particular from the time you log in till your desktop shows up.
There is in between these two points a long time of black screen, with only the mouse pointer showing.

Is this normal in this case, or can this situation be overcome in someway.Anyone who is in the know please advise.

Linux Mint sure is a smooth working distro. :D :D :D

TIA,
LinuxMint.ca
LinuxMint.ca
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Broadband Internet

Postby marcus0263 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:17 am

LinuxMint.ca wrote:Hallo:
I preformed the modification described herein, and I think it speeds things up somewhat; maybe giving a more solid connection.

However, I note that it slows the boot-up time, to reach a working desktop, in particular from the time you log in till your desktop shows up.
There is in between these two points a long time of black screen, with only the mouse pointer showing.

Is this normal in this case, or can this situation be overcome in someway.Anyone who is in the know please advise.

Linux Mint sure is a smooth working distro. :D :D :D

TIA,
LinuxMint.ca

Doesn't have any effect on boot times. To find out where your boot time is taking the time easiest way is to watch the boot process.

Before the time out that boots into your default kernel hit the <esc> Then when you get to your kernel selection press <e> to edit. Scroll down the the boot line and press <e> again to edit that line. Just back space to take out the "splash", then <enter> then hit <b> to boot. This will allow you to follow your boot cycle and find out where it's taking time.

I'd also take a look at "dmesg" and /var/log/messages
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4