Yet Another HowTo: Install OpenOffice (any version)

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Yet Another HowTo: Install OpenOffice (any version)

Postby Uncle Bob on Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:23 pm

I had some annoying issues with OpenOffice and after a lot of Googling and forum-trawling I did the following.

1. Select and download OpenOffice version 2.1 or version 2.2RC1 and save on your Desktop.

2. Make sure you have alien installed (it should be, but just make sure)
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install alien

3. Completely remove the current version of OpenOffice from your machine by using Synaptic Package Manager, or as like this:
dpkg -l | grep -i openoffice | cut -d " " -f 3 | sudo xargs apt-get -y --purge remove
sudo apt-get autoremove

4. Right-click on the downloaded tar.gz file and select to Extract Here

5. On your desktop, double-click the newly extracted folder to open it. There should be 3 files - licences, readmes and RPMS. Right-click on RPMS and select Open In Terminal

6. Now you need alien to convert the RPM files to DEB. this will take some time so when it starts go and have a beer, coffee or whatever.
sudo alien --scripts --keep-version *.rpm

7. Once the conversion has completed you can start the install of OpenOffice using that same Terminal.
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
cd desktop-integration/
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

That's it, you should now be done. All that remains is to go to Mint Control Centre - Desktop - Menu Layout and do the tick/untick/tick thing in the Office menu. And just to play it safe; reload the Mint Menu Plugins

Hope this helps someone... ;)

derived from original source
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Dawn on Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:50 pm

Works great..... Thanks for your post.

It installes easy this way.

Jan
Dawn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Toshi on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:53 am

Thank you! My openoffice messed up and this was the only guide which worked for me.
Toshi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby crazydruid on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Followed all the above and now got version 2.2.Two queries though...i dont seem to have the Quickstarter option now and how do i access the clip art packages? I downloaded the Clipart from Synaptic but when i click on Gallery can find Backgrounds,Bullets,Themes,Sounds and Rulers but no clip art graphics?
crazydruid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby varaonaid on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks! Helped a lot. I couldn't get OOo installed from Adept/Synaptic at all and your instructions worked like a charm. I appreciate you taking the time to post.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

This can't be right!

Postby slucre on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:15 pm

Sorry to complain about an otherwise nice distro but there has to be a better way to install OO than the above. Doesn't seem to work with miniKDE. Bogus when you can't just use apt-get and have to resort to all that alien and rpm ceerap! Is this Debian or is it Red Hat/Mandrivel for Pete's sake?

S

Output from apt-get

The following packages have unmet dependencies:   openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-core (= 2.0.4-0ubuntu5) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-java-common but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Output from trying to run Uncle Bob's routine:

desktop:~$ cd desktop-integration/
bash: cd: desktop-integration/: No such file or directory
slucre
Level 1
Level 1

Re: This can't be right!

Postby Uncle Bob on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:40 pm

slucre wrote:Sorry to complain about an otherwise nice distro but there has to be a better way to install OO than the above. Doesn't seem to work with miniKDE. Bogus when you can't just use apt-get and have to resort to all that alien and rpm ceerap! Is this Debian or is it Red Hat/Mandrivel for Pete's sake?

Dude, it would appear that this way does not work with KDE then. I wanted the full version of OO and this way worked for me on GNOME.

I suggest you do the following on your KDE machine:
1. Select your K Menu (or whatever else it is called)
2. Select System, then select Adept Manager (Adept package manager)
3. Enter your password at the prompt.
4. Once launched you should have the following options in the top left of the window - Adept, Edit, View, Settings and Help. Select Adept then select Manage Repositories
5. Make sure all the options are selected on the first tab. (doesn't really matter from which server, but if it makes you feel better; select the Main Server then click Close.
6. Do a Fetch Updates (click on that option) and wait for it to complete.
7. Now type in the Search field the following "openoffice"

All the OpenOffice components will appear and you can go through the list to install each and every one you want.

PS. Look out for the one labelled as "oooqs2-kde" - that one is the OpenOffice Quick Starter.

Other that this I have no further advice other that to suggest you then install KOffice (using the same procedure as above).

If that still does not help, I would recommend you follow this link :D
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cedenburn on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:21 am

That worked great and I have never seen OO open so quickly.

Chuck :D
cedenburn
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlsaPhil on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:13 am

Thanks Uncle Bob,

Super how to :) Good instructions. I followed them and all is ok!

One thing only: the quick starter doesn't go. It is impossible to click it in the options menu...

Somebody an answer?
AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Postby scorp123 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:24 am

Made thread sticky :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Peh on Mon May 14, 2007 10:05 am

I just wanted to say that first post did it for me on my KDE, so there's no need for adept.

Thnx Bob !
Peh
Level 1
Level 1

Works in KDE, too!

Postby lawsonrc on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks Uncle Bob,

I just installed Linux Mint Bianca KDEmini on June 21. Today (June 22) I followed your instructions and successfully got OOo2.2.1. Your instructions worked like a charm in KDE!

All the OOo apps appear in the KDE/Bianca Tasty Menu. Additionally, I made a desktop shortcut (link to application/launcher), then I dragged at dropped it to the Panel...I like single-clicking on the Panel rather than using Menus and desktop icons...it's just plain faster.

Now I'm in heaven!

I'm now recommending Linux Mint to other KDE fans. Soon Cassandra KDE will be out.

You're terrific!

Richard Lawson
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Yet Another HowTo: Install OpenOffice (any version)

Postby vortex_noob on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:58 am

I managed to install OOo using the .deb package downloaded from their homepage however now I'm having difficulty printing from inside OOo.
The workaround that I use right now is to export the docs to pdf and using Evince to print. Anybody knows how to fix this?
I set the print device to my canon printer inside OOo print setting but it still wont print..... :(
vortex_noob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Tutorials