How I restored my default graphics card via gui

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

How I restored my default graphics card via gui

Postby donlinux on Mon May 12, 2008 7:14 am

I realize all this can be done quickly and easily with a command line, however, I thought I'd see if I could restore a corrupt graphics card driver via a gui interface that might help out some who are uncomfortable with the command line.

Here's what I did.

First, I installed an old Elsa Erazor III card in my desktop box and changed the driver so it wouldn't work.
Rebooted and went through "X not starting" etc....
Ended up with a command prompt where I would normally dpkg-reconfigure and fix my problem.
Turned off the box, removed the Elsa card and went back to my onboard graphics card.
Rebooted and was still FUBAR.
Rebooted with mint live cd, and when I was at the desktop, I opened a terminal, typed sudo nautilus, mounted my hd and navigated to etc/X11/xorg.conf and opened it in a text editor.
Next, I opened nautilus and navigated to etc/X11/xorg.conf on the live cd and opened it with a text editor.
Then I simply copied the input device - graphics card from the live cd setup to my hd setup, copied the input device - monitor the same way. Saved the xorg.conf file on my hd and rebooted.
Voila! working graphics again.
I realize this is probably the "long way around" to fix this issue, but it was fun to try and actually quite an easy fix.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How I restored my default graphics card via gui

Postby Husse on Tue May 13, 2008 11:35 am

Actually, this is pretty much the preferred way :)
Unless you want to "reconfigure X"
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Tutorials / Howtos